How do I seperate my pygmy date palm cluster?

mcgyvr2009i(Schenectady, NY 5b)September 12, 2012

I have a pot with 3 pygmy date palms. I want to seperate them so that I can keep them as single trunk specimens. How should I seperate them without causing so much damage so I can keep them like that? Thanks in advanced.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchiddude(+7b ALabama)

If it was me, and I do plan on doing this to another palm I have that has 3 plants, I would take the plant out of the pot and place it in a huge tub of water to remove the dirt and loosen the roots. The trick is to try not to break or damage the roots. I know some plants are more sensitive than others, but you might try to move the plants around teasing each one out from the other. It will be a slow process but I think it would work nicely reduce the damage that causes a lot of the problems. Many palms will grow new root systems before continuing to grow if the roots are damage. Be careful.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 12:29PM
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake

I think pygmy dates are pretty tough to kill by separating. After asking a similar question, I decided to go out and 'rip' out some very small pygmy shoots from the clusters I had planted in my yard. I had fully expected to kill the small things in the process of pulling them from the ground. As a result, I now have 5 young pygmy dates potted and growing. I imagine if yours are still in a pot, that if you remove the soil, it will be quite easy to separate them.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 3:56PM
oppalm(6)

I'd wait until the start of summer. nothing jump starts growth and rooting like heat.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 9:41PM
More Discussions
Trimming Cycad Fronds
I have two King Sago Palms, in pots, in my enclosed...
mamaheel
Vertically vs horizontally sprouted coconuts
Hello everybody! I saw some vertically sprouted coconuts...
coconutman
Windmill Palm Fronds Shriveling!
For about a year now I've had this Windmill Palm planted...
windmillfan
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™