I can't win for losing!

kentishmanMay 20, 2011

I started a few seeds of Leutschauer Paprika recently. Two seeds popped, and I potted them up. Both seedlings were "helmet heads" (maybe that's typical for Leutschauer), so yesterday I performed microsurgery with sharp kitchen shears, tweezers and a needle. Off came the seed coats and out came nice fully formed cotyledons. Success! I checked back after a few hours to find that the cotyledons on one seedling were completely missing -- they hadn't shriveled up or dropped off, just gone! I have to assume some insect found them to be a nice tender morsel. This chile growing business has its setbacks!

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ottawapepper

Tom,

Don't give up! You've had a setback a lot of new growers experience. Don't let a little bad luck discourage you. It will get better if you keep trying and learning from past fails.

Actually, from experience, great success in your first year gives you a cocky over confidence that damds you in year two and three.

With respect to paprika, I only have Alma paprika seed. I do however have a variety of other chili peppers if you want to give it another shot next season.

If you're interested, email me at: ottawapepper (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 9:38PM
kentishman

Ottawapepper,

Thanks for the words of encouragement, but I'm not giving up yet. I've got several varieties that seem to be doing well, and I'll try the Leutschauer again next year. I figure we all have our hard luck stories, and I thought people would get a chuckle from my little setback. I appreciate your kind offer of some seeds for new varieties, and I'll email you.

Tom

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 9:31AM
kosherbaker(LA CA-10)

When seed shells don't come off, that means not enough friction was available to the plant to remove them in the soil and/or not enough humidity to soften the shell.

When that happens to me what I do is put the little guy in an enclosed environment, like a large clear plastic container and then put a cup or two of water in the same closed container. The water creates enough moisture for the little guy to ditch the shell.

Removing it by hand appears to be much much more stressful.

Rudy

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
Wow! Sure seems slow!
In the midst of seedling season, I would expect the...
woohooman
Resurrect my Scorpion plant?
So I have a Trinidad Scorpion plant that produced fairly...
newcoyote
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
Do Habs take longer to germinate?
I've only had one Hab germinate after 2 weeks and almost...
ozzy2001
Sprouting leaves on peppers drying
My new leaves are going dark and drying off in most...
tomyres
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™