watermelons, okay to eat?

melvee(7)August 4, 2011

i tried watermelons this year, Sugar Baby variety. the leaves started a beautiful green but lately have faded to a lime green with brown spots and something that looks like a white chalk on the leaves. the melons are still a beautiful dark green and they are unblemished. what is wrong with the leaves and does it affect the fruit at all? thanks everyone!

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dan Staley

From poor resolution foto, looks like nutrient deficiency. Impossible to tell how it will affect flavor.

Dan

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 11:25AM
melvee(7)

well then how do i get the picture better? i had to resize them this small to even post them to this page. how can i get them better?

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 11:42AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

"White chalk" suggests powdery mildew. Very common on squash & melon.

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 4:39PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Tutorial on picture posting at the link.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Pix

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 6:13PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The white powdery stuff does look like Powdery Mildew, common on many plants when the weather turns hot and humid. Easily controlled by sprays of 1 teaspoon baking soda in 1 quart of water, or a 50/50 mixture of fat free milk and water applied every 5 to 7 days.
The light green leaves may indicate a nutrient deficiency, a lack of soil moisture (which creates a nutrient deficiency), or maybe a too wet soil which does the same thing as not enough soil moisture.
The brown spots could be from insect activity. Numerous insects can cause them.

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 7:55AM
taxtax

White chalk could be anything. Molting leaves can cause a white forum to spread like a virus through your plants, but is just discolouration and no real harm, though I've made the mistake and jumped to conclusions that I had powdery mildew because of it.

Interesting, despite treating for powdery mildew, I still got the real thing on my pumpkins, but perhaps I didn't keep spraying long enough with cornell's solution.

There are quite a few diseases that cause brown rusty spots, but I can't quite all the details now. So far my Sugar Babys have been growing well this year, though I did start quite late.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 8:37AM
More Discussions
Hibiscus plant has brown growths on stem
So, I believe this is a hibiscus plant, although it...
stilllucky0
Miscoscopic silver insect
Hi, I need help for an identification. I found them...
MerlinMerlin
Pepper problem
I am a doctor and gardening beginner, trying my luck...
heshamsaeed
Best organic pesticide for house plant soil?
Best organic pesticide for house plant soil? I currently...
algar32
Can I fix these split branches?
I have two different bushes/shrubs that have split...
dblank
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™