New to Seedling growing

Lchiles24June 10, 2014

Hi there,
Have germinated seeds and have them in 4 inch pots...used a cactus soil in plastic pots...they have been doing very well and are about 3 months old...recently some of them have very fat (thick) stems until you get to the soil level and then it narrows down dramatically...a couple have started falling over....am I overwatering, underwatering, need to change soil? HELP!
Lchiles

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
the_first_kms2(8/9)

Is it turning brown where it narrows?

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 9:15PM
maark23 TX/8a

It sounds like it could be overwatering, but I'm not too sure. A picture would be helpful.

Mark

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 11:38PM
jandey1(TX8)

Sounds like damping off, a fungal disease. Unfortunately seedlings of all kinds are vulnerable to it.

When I planted all my plumie seeds I used to drench once a week with Spanish water, which is just water with a big splash of hydrogen peroxide in it. I rarely lost any to damping off.

Good luck!

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 9:20AM
disneyhorse(10A)

Don't panic. Mine had trunks right at the soil line, and then narrowed to the roots. As my soil was very coarse and airy, it compacted over a few months with more regular watering as they got their first leaves and a similar thing happened. I added soil back to cover the roots and help keep them propped up.
Not sure without photos.
You could pull one up and rinse the soil off the roots and inspect for rot. It will tolerate being replanted just fine.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 2:52PM
Lchiles24

Thanks everyone...I was pretty sure it was overwatering...I will try to send picture but I'm not extremely techno savvy.
L

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
OT White Beach In Southern Cali?
I think I need to put Visine in my eyes.. Did I just...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Jungle Jacks at Lowes
So, now that I have your attention....when do you think...
rox146
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
scale
Laura and Peg...is this the scale my husband thinks...
rox146
Need help with a sick Plumeria
Glad to have joined your site and hello from sunny...
mag107
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™