Spinosad

Minderella(9 Lake County FL)June 16, 2012

I have seen a few post about spraying with Spinosad. I was wondering why you are using it and what concentration are people using?

I used it in my vegetable garden but wondered why use it for the plumeria?

Mindy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ProudMamaSD

Hi Mindy, although I haven't had any experience with it personally, from following Jen & Emily's conversation I believe it is used to combat thrips on plumeria.

Hope that helps,
Wendy

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 11:04PM
elucas101(8)

Hi Mindy! Personally, I started using it because I needed something specifically to control thrips - they were killing my plants - but also for several other reasons. I've only been using it for about a month now but so far I like it pretty well.

Reasons I chose to try it:
It is technically considered organic, a biological agent.

It says it is only toxic to insects that eat your plants, leaving the beneficial insects safe. *Although, Spinosad is very toxic when WET, and it will kill a big you spray directly - you are to spray when birds, bees and other beneficial insects aren't so active. So it should help to not throw off the balance of insects as much as some other pesticides.

It is mild enough that it can be used weekly. This is something to consider, as I like it because it hadn't burned my plants or anything, but it does require weekly application.

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 11:16PM
jandey1(TX8)

For anyone reading this post about pest control, before spraying anything please check that the ingredients DO NOT include any neonicotinoids. This is what's killing our honey bees around the U.S., and we will not have a steady supply of food without them.

Our bees are dying off at an alarming rate and neonicotinoids are the main reason, mostly from large-scale agricultural application--how ironic that to grow food they're using something that will prevent pollination of our food!--but it's still important for the home gardener to keep these products out of our yards and support our local honey bee populations.

I've linked to Beecharmers, which mentions imidacloprid, which I believe Kms2 said gave him even more spider mite problems after use to treat thrips, IIRC.

Here is a link that might be useful: List of commonly used pesticides

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 9:41AM
Minderella(9 Lake County FL)

Thank you for your information. I havent seen thrips yet but I am sure I will.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 9:56AM
More Discussions
Plant robbers
I can't believe it! My plants are in the back yard...
angel325
Jungle Jacks
Not sure if I can ask this here. I was thinking about...
plumeriai45
plumeria not flowering
A friend of mine has a plumeria which has never flowered....
annie_____
A few blooms from Madeira
Aloha plumeria friends! Wanted to share a few beauties...
David Richter
Easy bloomers
What are the easiest plants to get to bloom easily?...
tamela_star
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™