Peppers 2012

chicagopepper(5b Chicago)May 9, 2012

Thanks to everyone who's been posting for the past couple of months. I've been wanting to join in the discussion but things have been too busy. Practically no time to tend to my peppers, but they don't seem to mind.

I have two Maui Purple peppers going this year, courtesy of the seeds Danny sent my way in.. 2010? My crop last year was pretty sad and I didn't get very good production. This year they all look a lot more healthy. Chicago's still chilly at night (going down to 42'F tonight) so I'm just now hardening them off and hoping to plant in the ground this weekend as it looks like low 50's at night after this week. I put 5 in the ground last week right before 3 days of thunderstorms and highs in the 50s/60s. Needless to say, those plants look pretty stressed at the moment. I definitely jumped the gun.

I've also got 4 or 5 Siling Haba seedlings (again, thanks Danny!) and I'm wondering if anyone has used/cooked with/eaten Siling Haba pods? All the info I can find online talks about the soup they make in the native Phillipines. I'm very intrigued. I grew Siling Haba last year, too, but like I said, my plants were pretty weak and didn't produce many pods. It's a nice looking plant though and very fast-growing.

This year the crop list includes:

Jalapeno

Serrano

Bolivian Rainbow

Maui Purple

Siling Haba

Habanero

Hungarian Wax

Cherry

Thai Red

Aji Omnicolor (Thanks Aji Joe!)

Peperoni Di Sinise (Thanks Danny!)

12" Finger Peppers (seeds from pepper sold at grocery store)

Many thanks to all for your advice over the years! All the best and happy growing.

Matt

Maui Purple

Hardening off on the porch...

Habs, etc.

Siling haba (back right) and some others

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esox07

Beautiful looking plants. You definitely have a good start going....but close to time to kick them out of the house and into the real world. Good luck and it looks like you have a great start to the growing season.
Bruce

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 1:18PM
tsheets(5)

Looks good! I haven't actually planted anything out yet, but, hopefully this weekend. These cool temps this week have had me moving everyone in the garage at night and back out in the morning (and during storms). :-)

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 6:22PM
esox07

Yep, I want to at least pot up my over winter plants but still talking under 40 tonight. It looks like a good run of sun coming up and temps might permit me to pot up my seedlings sooner than expected.
Bruce

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
Effect of Temperatures, Day Length, Rain/Moist'r on . Peppers.
Title speaks for itself, to some extent. But let's...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
bad batch of corn … oh
OTOH nothing happened after 26 days with my first batch...
bragu_DSM 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™