squirrel!!! should I just feed them??

dancer40(9)August 20, 2011

So I am a novice gardener and I love birds-feeding the birds attacted squirrels and now I can't get rid of them-tried cayenne pepper dried over plants and the spray and its not really helping. I used feeders that are cakes so there is no more seed on the ground, but when there is less seed they go for the plants. This is so frustrating. If I stop feeding the birds do you think the squirrels will eventually go away? Or do I just feed them. I don't care if they eat bird food I just want them off my plants and veggies. I am also worried that if I do feed them I will have 10 or 20 instead of just the usual 2 or 3 culptrits that hang around. No I won't shoot or kill them. It's not in my nature to do that. I love watching the birds but if it means I can get rid of the squirrels I might just do that. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'd be very hesitant about feeding squirrels. Have you tried dusting the seed with plenty of cayenne pepper powder? It's always worked for me. The birds can't detect the heat but the squirrels can.

Another thing you can do is to provide a couple of bird baths and forget the feeders. Locate the baths someplace that is readily accessible to a hose so that you can keep them rinsed, cleaned, and filled. You'll have plenty of bird activity.

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 3:37PM
dancer40(9)

We have a few bird baths and I doused the seed cakes with a lot of dried cayanne pepper and was watching the squirrel eat the seed and it was rubbing it's eyes. Then afterwards it went and drank a lot of water from the bird bath so I guess they are getting used to the pepper. Ugh....

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 8:54PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Squirrels will chew on your plants when they are hungry....feeding them discourages that. Squirrels also chew on my house....and feeding them discourages that behavior but also attracts more squirrels...so you are dammed if you do and...you know!
Also I find that when things are dry, the squirrels will chew my more "juicy" plants....so I am careful to provide squirrel water.
Yes...I am a slave to squirrels and their threats.
Linda C

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 6:32PM
More Discussions
Treating tomato plants with dishwashing soap
This is my first time here, so i hope i am following...
susanbf714
Rabbit catch and release
I've researched all options for removing the rabbit...
beryl469
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
Sponsored Products
Abbyson Living Clarkston Solid Wood 72-inch TV Console
Overstock.com
Solaris Olde Silver Six-Light Chandelier
$398.00 | Bellacor
Justice Design Group GLA-8704 - Aero 4 Light Bath Bar - Cylinder with Rippled Ri
$550.00 | Hayneedle
Pink & Blue Lay-n-Go Lite
$14.99 | zulily
Area Rug: Select Canvas Outer Limits 5' x 8'
Home Depot
15 Lights Multi-angle Rhombus Iron Structure Pendant Light
ParrotUncle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™