Bottle Palm advice

cwcervantes(9A / New Orleans)September 23, 2013

Hello! I purchased a small Bottle Palm that I plan to grow in a container. Any recommendations for potting mix? I was thinking of using a well draining compost / bagged soil that I had on hand.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Here is an old pic of my last Bottle that I grew from seed.
I used a mix of "cactus/palm" along with about a third leca. have used all kinds of mixes over the years but since this pot is 3x 3 feet thought it needed some extra drainage Don't seem to be too particular as long as it drains well. gary

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 5:12AM
cwcervantes(9A / New Orleans)

Thanks, Gary. I think I'll mix the soil with Growstones -- similar to LECA but lighter as it's expanded glass. Do these palms do well pot bound?

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 9:11AM

Thanks, Gary. I think I'll mix the soil with Growstones -- similar to LECA but lighter as it's expanded glass. Do these palms do well pot bound?

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 12:07PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
IMHO they are best in a pot.lol They are slow growing ,tend to get wide rather than tall, easily wind damaged and are cold sensitive. Also think they hold onto the "bottle" longer though there is wide variation between plants on this feature from the start. This one was the best of the seedlings and i decided to keep it because a neighbor gave me the pot and did the work lol
It is a bit over 30 years old and you still wouldn't be able to walk under it. if in the ground.. i have a very small lot and a hopeless" collector' so something had to go lol
Certainly makes a striking pot plant?? good luck with yours!! gary

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 4:39AM

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 12:09PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I'd say that bottle palms are probably better at being pot bound than a lot of other palms are. Mine is pretty pot bound right now and it pushed out 3 fronds just this season which is a very decent growth rate for Bottle palms. If you have good drainage in the pot, make sure to give them lots of water. They don't like drying out for too long.

Good luck!
-Alex

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 12:45PM
stanofh

Majesty palms in California also get bottle like trunks...then later grow out of that.

This post was edited by stanofh on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 17:02

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
Survival of up rooted Palm.
I'm in coastal NC Z8b. Builders dropped off a up rooted...
camaross94
Cycas Revoluta - only two shoots
Hello, I am new here, and I have a question about a...
oxford_pictionary
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
Sago Palm out of control!
I have 3 sago palms that started as nice small plants....
kkupsh
Germinating Bismarckia nobilis in cool subtropical climate
Hi, I am on Pico island in the Azores and there is...
PicoAzores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™