Frost damage ... please help!

kariplumeriaJune 4, 2011

I purchased my plumeria from Florida six years ago. I live in WI, so I can only watch it grow throughout the summer. So far, I've only had success getting PLENTY of leaves on the plant, but no flowers. Well, this year, unfortunately I left it outside a little too long, so it got damaged by frost. I kept cutting all the bad parts away, and now all I have is an ugly stick. I cut down until I saw just white wood. Now, though, it looks like the wood is hollowing at the top. Is there any way to save it? Should I replant? Is there a way I can post a picture on here to show you? Please help! :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirtygardener73(9a)

Depends. How cold did it get? If it was below freezing unprotected for more than 5 hours, it's in trouble for sure. If the core is frozen, it may not make it. I've had some do that too....just keep rotting down, down, down until they were mush. One came back from the very bottom, though, so don't give up completely. On the other hand, if the soil froze, it's toast.

If the ugly stick lives, there will be shoots coming out of the sides, and the top will die down to the first shoot and eventually fall off. Leave it alone if it does that, and do not cut that top dried out part off until it falls off on its own.

I had one die down to the ground once, and I thought it was gone, and suddenly, one shoot came up from just below ground and grew into a beautiful plant.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
Back from the dead.
I'm back. After giving up on this site, they contacted...
tdogdad
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
OT White Beach In Southern Cali?
I think I need to put Visine in my eyes.. Did I just...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Plumies doing better
Hello! Just an update. My beautiful plumies are doing...
tamela_star
Bayer tree and shrub
Has anyone ever mixed in fertilizer with the Bayer...
rox146
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™