Albizia Julibrissin spots on trunk

Regli55eAugust 27, 2012

Hi, I could use some help identifying what these white spots are. They appear progressively higher on the trunk of the tree, and once there are some above a leaf juncture, the leaf starts losing green color, becoming yellow and eventually dry.

I would really appreciate getting a name of what this might be, so I can try to fight it off before it's too late for my 3 month old seedlings.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Those are lenticels, an opening in the bark or surface of woody stems, trunks, and roots. These small openings allow for the exchange of gases between the surrounding air and the inner tissues of the plants.

The lenticels of some species are very noticeable, especially on the younger growth where corky bark hasn't started to form yet. Others become an ornamental feature throughout the life of a plant...such as cherry species. Still others may never be obvious.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 3:18PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

in other words its a maturity issue ..

as to the browning leaves.. it might be a light issue.. are they indoors ... the sun is in decline ...

and with that very lush large drooping leader growth.. i wonder about a fertilizer issue .... you are north of me in MI .... you should be winding down fert for winter .. if any ...

in other words.. something else might be going on.. other than those spots ..

ken

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 9:00AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

If that one dies, there are a billion more seeds/seedlings out there. Those spots are normal.

FWIW, I've been trying to kill one of these for years. If you pull all of the foliage off of it every day for 3 years, it should really start growing well, out of spite.

Good luck with your weed!

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 9:15AM
Regli55e

Thanks a bunch for the reassurance and information. Will stop with ferilizer, hopefully they will recover.
Haha, purpleinopp, one person's invasive plant trash really is another's plant treasure!

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 2:08PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I know. I've got a lot of potted weeds (if I lived in FL.)

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
Lilac Concerns
My lilac plant is... frying? ... Lives in zone 8a One...
kricsten
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Seedlings being cut by pest
My precious seedlings are being decapitated by an unknown...
tomatosensei
Sponsored Products
Sea Turtle Sculpture
$795.00 | FRONTGATE
Marlin 6-ft. Wall Sculpture
FRONTGATE
Humpback Whale Sculpture
$895.00 | FRONTGATE
Sailfish Sculpture
$795.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™