type and info needed

jollygiantAugust 24, 2010

My 8' tomato plant,3 months old or so, apparently a gift from a passing bird, has approx. 1 1/2 inch high fruits, almost Delicious Apple shaped, not round. It has over 180 tomatoes on it plus has given about 30 ones I've picked since early July. The stems average 8-10 tomatoes per group, but I just clipped off a stem holding 16 tomatoes because it seemed about to break and drop all the fruit.I LOVE the big size and amount of tomatoes, but have no clue what type it is. I took photos of the cluster to show a garden store if I get out to do so, but hard for me. Anyone know what type tomato has apple shaped fruit and a mild flavor with a meaty and little seeded interior? With a plant like this I wouldn't need to plant more than one or two next year. Any help would be MOST appreciated!

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kelgalon(9)

They look very similar to these on Johnny's website. Sounds like I need to try them too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatoberry

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 3:24PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Impossible to know. Just save the seeds and grow them again.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 4:14PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Why don't you post this picture in the Tomato Forum, or the Vegetable Gardening Forum?

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 4:15PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

rhizo the answer there will be the same as mine from any seasoned grower that knows tomatoes. There's too many varieties for a positive ID unless there's something about the color or shape that doesn't fit 20 other types. They might give suggestions but positive ID will be impossible.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 4:21PM
calliope(6)

Yep..........just save the seeds. If it volunteered, it may be a cross and not have any equivalent named tomato to match it. I had a sausage tomato plant this year a friend had saved the seeds too, nnd labeled peppers. She only had three seeds in the envelope and I got three plants out of it. One of them I lost in the population of the g'house, one I gave back to the seed saver and one I planted. Amazing vine and I'll be saving seeds for it this year. It was the first to bear fruit and is still cranking on a large indeterminate vine. Meaty, good taste.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 9:40PM
jollygiant

Thank you all, I will try to save the seeds, and since I've heard you can try to winter over some veggie plants (like a pepper),I will TRY to dig it up once cut to a foot high, and see if I can keep it inside.Never heard of a sausage tomato, sounds like yet another one I want to grow,so lucky to have large yard because it may be a huge garden mess year!My plant has blight on the inner area leaves, but one plant I had in a container, bought from a garden store, had blight and I cut it off to a 3" stem and and threw it out- forgot to empty the pot and now it is about 1' high and healthy leaves and a few flowers. I snip off blight leaves to slow spread; now I know what blight looks like I will take steps to keep it away next year. Oh to grow avocados,other warm zone plants!Your posts give me so many ideas :)...

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
Question for the 'Regular' contributors
I've noticed a real slow down in this forum since the...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Grubs
I'm finding quite a number of these in my garden beds....
oberci
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™