tropical island in Lake Erie

islandbreezeSeptember 24, 2013

Put in Bay is an island in Lake Erie and part of northern Ohio. There are tons of tropical plantings on the island. Here are some pics from my hotel...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
islandbreeze

Another

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 3:18PM
islandbreeze

Queen, Phoenix, agaves

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 3:22PM
bradleyo_gw

My dad used to go on a yearly fishing trip there and my sister-in-law is also a regular. Apparently it's a super fun place. That washie is great, I bet they overwinter it based on the number of fronds it has. I'd be interested in finding out how they do it if that's the case.

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 4:36PM
islandbreeze

I heard that the waters surrounding the island have great fishing due to the deep waters and cliffs that surround the islands in that part of the lake. It really is a very fun place.

I agree, it would be interesting to see how they overwinter all of their tropicals on the island. In the second pic in the background, you can see a very robust and healthy 6 foot trachy with fronds all the way to the ground. I have a feeling that there is a company that comes and plants and removes these plantings every year, based on the size and number of huge Alocasia planted around the island. They aren't public plantings either, all private businesses.

One restaurant has at least a 15 foot long bed of Black Magic elephant ears. Really a sight to see, along with even a Bismarckia.

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 11:58PM
More Discussions
Spindle palm pot size?
Hey guys. It's been hovering around 0F here, with jaunts...
Cally Paparelli
Bangalow Palm Separation - Triple Planted
hi, i had just separated Bangalow Palms that i just...
acaryofyllis
Sickly windmill palm
We have a 6ft windmill palm that is about 6-7 years...
Diane2115
Coconut Palm in Newport Beach, CA
Hey guys, just thought you'd like an update on the...
cmventura
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™