newbie needs help

shamrockmanJune 11, 2014

Hey thanks for all the great info y'all post on the forum. I have two questions. I have some rooted cuttings that the potting mix has slumped on. Some as much as 2 inches. I propose to add my current potting mix to fill the slump. Is this ok? My 2nd question is where are the detailed instructions on rooting in the soda bottles.

Thanking y'all in advance,
Butch

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

You can add soil if you want its not a problem. However You might be better off lifting them and adding it to the bottom.

using bottles is very simple. I use regular 16-20oz bottles. cut the top off and poke a few small holes in the bottom. Set the cutting about half way down and pack the soil around it firmly to support it. Water once and put in a warm sunny spot. I will also slide the cardboard paper towel or toilet paper tube on the cutting the help with sunburn. the exposed lip of the bottle can act like a magnifying glass and burn the cutting at the base.
here is my most recent one thornton lemon drop that I rooted last month.

mike

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 9:22AM
spiroan

Hi Butch,

If the cuttings have been planted and rooted for quite a while, I personally would probably repot before I would add soil. If the cuttings haven't been rooted long, it may not be a good idea to mess with the roots right now. So, I would probably be inclined to just leave them as is until you can repot them.

I will say this, though. I've added soil to them before, because I just couldn't stand it, and they have been fine. But it does introduce the chance of rot if you get a rain or something.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 9:23AM
shamrockman

Thanks mksmth and spiroan. Y'all are the greatest.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 10:00PM
shamrockman

Thanks mksmth and spiroan. Y'all are the greatest.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
1st Plumie Drama of the Season
It's unbelievable how early the season has started...
freak4plumeria
Jungle Jacks
Not sure if I can ask this here. I was thinking about...
plumeriai45
help with 4ft spindly plumeria
I would like to cut the top 21/2 ft and root that with...
deejvue
Back from the dead.
I'm back. After giving up on this site, they contacted...
tdogdad
question about waxing cuttings
do i have to wait for them to harden off like normal...
kingbingo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™