Photos... Ready for water yet?

eigdeh(z6 NJ)June 27, 2011

Howdy!!!

I have had these Plumeria's in the basement under a grow light since about the middle of April. They only got a "touch" of water the day I planted them to dilute and spread the rootone. Has not seen a drop since. Temp in basement can't be more than 75.

It is a hot day today and I thought that since there seems to be no real threat of rain that I would give them a dose of real sun and hotter temps. I would like to leave these outside so they get a chance to be in the summer sun and heat, are they ready to get some water yet? Otherwise they need to go in the cool basement and 150 watt bulb. :c(

One plant has 4 inch leaves, though they are still narrow and folded. One has 1 inch leaves and another perhaps 2 to 2 1/2 leaves.

Here are the photos. I put my hand in the frame for some sort of scale comparision.

4 inch leaf:

2+ inch leaf:

1 inch leaf:

Any or all of these ready to be left out?

Thanks!

Ken

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevenwayne(6 sw)

well mine have been out since april and im in zone 6 they are fine as long as they dont go below 55 depending on the variety

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 1:11PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

As long as your night temps are above 55 degrees F, you should be OK to leave them out.

I would start them out in a dappled shade though or maybe only early-day sun, as those tender leaves will fry in full sun, and all that progress will have been lost.

They should make good progress now.

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 1:13PM
eigdeh(z6 NJ)

Thanks!

Reason I have kept them inside was that the recommendation was not to give water till the leaves are 4 inches long. Would the rain water cause rot?

How long should they stay out of direct sun?

Ken

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 2:14PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

They'll acclimate to full sun in a few weeks.

Are you trying to root these? If so, I usually don't water rooting cuttings very much (or allow rain to hit them) until I see roots coming out of the drainage holes. You can water very lightly around the perimeter of the pot. If you have humid weather, you can probably get by with watering less. Judging by the leaves, they may be rooting or they may not. But they do look healthy!

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 8:37PM
eigdeh(z6 NJ)

Yes Dave, I am trying to root these. I guess I should have mentioned that in my original post. :c(

These have gotten zero water since the day I planted them in the mix. I do not have a place outside that would pretect them from rainfall, so do you suggest I stick them back in the basement till I see roots coming out of the drainage holes? So far no roots.

Ken

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 8:44PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I do water my rooted cuttings occasionally. They are in a very warm spot so I let them see rain water every now and again, even before the first leaves. Right now both my cuttings are growing. I left one cutting inside for over 2 months, and its growing faster than the one that was outside since the warm weather! Both are doing well though despite the extra water.
I never have a problem with water rotting cuttings on a warm sunny day (but they are in small pots and good draining soil which yours also seem to be in!)
-Alex

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 11:57PM
the_first_kms2(8/9)

They look good to me. Here in SATX i would be giving them little drinks (a spray or two from the hose) 1 - 2 times per week and have them in morning to midday sun.

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 7:33AM
More Discussions
Need help with a sick Plumeria
Glad to have joined your site and hello from sunny...
mag107
Spring is on it's way...
Just wanted to post some "wake up" progress....
tunatony
Top 5 WOW Factor Plumeria Choices ?
Hello Gang ; Please help me choose the top 5 Wow Factor...
edzone9
Pots/Planters
Hi Everyone! I have been a long time lurker as I was...
Houndhome
1st Plumie Drama of the Season
It's unbelievable how early the season has started...
freak4plumeria
Sponsored Products
Beaumont Concealed 2 Outlet Twin & Diverter Thermostatic Shower Valve
Hudson Reed
Outdoor Trickling Table Fountain in Metallic Silver
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Frontgate Misting Outdoor Fan
$149.50 | FRONTGATE
Newport One-Light Bath Fixture
$376.00 | Bellacor
Dive Bar Stool in Red
$169.00 | LexMod