What do I do with my Cannas?

tigerdawn(7)October 26, 2012

I have vague recollections that canna lilies can't handle the winter. Mine are still growing and are in pots. I have been watching Oklahoma Gardening because they showed us how to bring them out of dormancy and I thought they would say when it was time to bring them in, but no luck. Do any of you know what to do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lisa_H(7)

Are they in pots in the ground? Seems to me Oklahoma Gardening always suggests digging them up. I don't, but I do get varying amount of canna death doing that.

If they are easy to move, I would put them into your garage.

Lisa

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 6:21PM
MiaOKC

I brought mine in the garage tonight. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/okgard/msg0511492411324.html

Here is a link that might be useful: about potted cannas

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 9:25PM
GeneTheNewGuy

I dunno. I've been in this house for 3 years now. When I first moved in there was a small patch of yellow cannas in the back yard. I've done nothing to them. Each year the patch gets bigger and bigger and has also crossed under the wood stockade fence and now my neighbor says he has them in his yard now too.

I hope he likes them :)

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 10:26PM
p_mac(7)

If they're in pots, pull them into the garage and as soon as you can, bury those pots in the ground at about the level of dirt equal to the pot level. A few inches lower won't hurt. Mulch HEAVY on top of that.

They should be okay after that.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 11:10PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Mine overwinter in the ground. If I had them in pots I'd sink them into the ground.

I think how well cannas do in the ground in OK in the winter correlates with how well the soil drains. Mine that were in unimproved clay died in a cold, wet winter although they had tolerated the same temperatures in drier winters. The ones that I have in the band of sandy soil which drains well survive the winters just fine. So do the ones in a raised bed of heavily-improved clay at the entrance to the veggie garden. The in-ground ones get mulched by pecan leaves that fall from the nearby tree, but other than that I don't mulch them in the clayey area.

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 10:46AM
soonergrandmom

Mine are in the ground and I don't take them up, but they are mostly in a sheltered area. The beds of red ones keep getting larger, and the other colors keep getting fewer and fewer.

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 9:26PM
OklaMoni

soonergrandmom, try to mulch the other colors heavy. They are dying out on you. Some colors/varieties are more tender than others.

Moni

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 7:50AM
macmex

We had them, 7 years ago, in one of the gardens which came with our house. They slowly decreased, each winter, until they disappeared. Someday I'll get some more, and I'll either mulch heavily, for the winter, or bring them indoors.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 10:05AM
bettycbowen(7)

I leave mine, and they are spreading. They are all the red ones.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Row cover - best brand, where to order?
Hi everyone, I want to order some row cover. I want...
canokie
Anyone ever read the Soil forum?
Hahaha, I went over to go check out how they were doing...
Lisa_H
Milkweed?
Does anyone have milkweed seeds they could share? I'd...
tracydr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™