Dypsis Teddy Bear Palm

garyirynaSeptember 28, 2010

Anyone growing these? To me they look wind swept . Leaves growing in all directions like a windmill! Is that right? Some say these are beautiful palms, what do you think ?

Are these palms good in drought? Or near coast?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lzrddr(91360)

Unfortunately there are several species of Dypsis commonly called Teddy Bear Palms... the one we grow here in California is Dypsis leptocheilos, but sometimes Dypsis lastelliana is referred to as a Teddy Bear Palm as well. Neither are the least bit drought tolerant and both look icky near the coast (unless the coast is extremely tropical). They are of course, grown well, beautiful palms... but then nearly all palms are beautiful palms so that really isn't a very meaningful description. I would not describe either of these as having windmill-like leaves that grow in all directions, though. They are more known for their fuzzy reddish brown crownshafts and startling, white, ringed trunks. Dypsis lastelliana has very upright leaves (shuttle-cock-like) while leptocheilos's are more droopy and delicate-looking.

Dypsis leptocheilos in California (one of the better looking examples)

Palm in Singapore (Dypsis leptocheilos)

Dypsis lastellianas in Hawaii below (no photos of good looking ones in California since there are few, if any, good looking ones in California... too marginal here).

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 1:03AM
More Discussions
Windmill survival opinion
I have a windmill, only about 1 foot of trunk, maybe...
islandbreeze
Unknown palm acquisition
A guy in my neighborhood recently moved and left many...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Keeping Majestic Palm HELP
How to keep Majestic Palm alive in Northern Virginia...every...
marie13100
2015 sudden jump(here)from winter to spring
Check out March 6th,that is the day I uncovered my...
jimhardy
Coconut Palm in Newport Beach, CA
Hey guys, just thought you'd like an update on the...
cmventura
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™