When to worry about a bee nest?

IAmSupernova(SE Texas 9A)August 10, 2013

Basically what the title says. Today I noticed a bunch of bees swarming in the garage and my educated guess is they've built a home in the rafters because they seem to be coming and going from one 2x2 foot area or so. With recent reports (not far from me) of Africanized bees, I'm kind of worried.

I planted flowers and such to draw in the bees for pollination, but didn't expect them to set up their home so close to mine. I'm not really sure where to go from here.. I still need the bees for pollination, so is this kind of a take it or leave it thing? Should I call someone out to see if they are Africanized (can they even tell?) or should I just get rid of them regardless? Does it make sense to get rid of the nest but keep the flowers to draw in more? Will they just likely set up their home somewhere close by too?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Ask your county's Extension Service office as they will have accurate info for your region.

Locate the office with this map
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 6:38PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

And if they are in fact honeybees, many communities (although not all) will have someone near who will do a free live removal then relocate them someplace more appropriate. Have you seen one close enough to know if bee, wasp, or just what you have?

Here is a link that might be useful: examples beekeepers offering bee removal texas

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 8:49PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

OP is concerned about Africanized bees. A microscope is required to differentiate between honey bee & Africanized bee.

Further, local authorities will know if Africanized bees are a concern in the region.

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 10:05PM
IAmSupernova(SE Texas 9A)

Will probably have to wait til Monday I'm guessing but thanks I'll ask them. I'll see if I can find someone to relocate, too.

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 11:07PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i think i once saw BEES in the yellow pages.. get out you say.. lol ..

simply google: FREE BEE REMOVAL ... and add your county ..

beekeepers ought to know the difference.. dont you think ... and for free bees.. those dudes.. and dudettes.. will travel ... [and even if you have to pay them.. its better than hiring pest control to kill them]

and they might even answer the phone on sunday ...

worse they can tell you.. is they are the wrong kind.. and THEN you know ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: i google free bee removal.. plus my county.. and came up with this page.. i presume you can find your state on the left margin ....

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 9:03AM
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

OP: Does it make sense to get rid of the nest but keep the flowers to draw in more?

Yes - Unless you're a beekeeper, you probably shouldn't allow a hive to remain in or near your residence since you're in a part of the country known to have Africanized bees. The threat is not the few dozen visiting your garden at a particular moment, but you or a pet being too close to a hive when something sets thousands into a swarm,

Here's what a north Texas woman attacked a couple weeks ago while exercising her miniature horses suggests: I want everyone to know if you see bees on your property it needs to be taken care of immediately. We did not disturb the hive. We were nowhere near it.

She survived, but two miniature horses and several chickens were killed. Details may be found in the linked article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thousands of bees attack couple, horses in Pantego (TX)

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 10:35PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I agree, if they are honey bees, they should absolutely not be killed, a pro should remove them for free because they are quite valuable, especially since so many have been lost recently. Certain crops require hiring bee hives to be brought to them, for pollination.

If they are something else, possibly A-bees, I'd want professional help, someone with the proper equipment and safety suit.

I've never had a bee nest/hive anywhere around that I know of, but have always had flowers. Planting flowers does not, by itself, cause bees to make a nest/hive nearby.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
Lilac Concerns
My lilac plant is... frying? ... Lives in zone 8a One...
kricsten
problem with skunk cabbage
My Eastern skunk cabbages aren't doing so well. I believe...
weirdflowers
Sponsored Products
Bruck | V/A Factory Curved Track - Vertical 67 Inch
$351.00 | YLighting
Fanmats NFL 34 x 45 in. House Divided Rug - 8461
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Campania International Large Horned Owl Cast Stone Garden Statue - A-337-AL
$219.99 | Hayneedle
Sunpan Modern Hanover Ottoman - 42397-0
$550.54 | Hayneedle
Catnapper Embrace Power Lift Recliner with Heat and Massage - 4846 2067-40
$969.00 | Hayneedle