romy6 pepper update

romy6(9)May 16, 2013

Plants are doing really well. Still fighting the aphids/ slash black ants but when am I not.

Not yellow brain ( cross of sorts)

yellow cardi scorps

one branch of my monster brainstrain

Yellow primo 7

Flower power

And my first carolina reaper pod

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jifjifjif(9b-Florida)

Awesome! So many pods....

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 3:28PM
habjolokia

Nice pepper trees they all look Awesome! Look forward on your opinion on the reaper. You always have good pics to post.

Mark

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 4:56PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Uhh... romy, do you live in Jamaica? That would explain a lot.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 5:19PM
peppernovice

Geez....what it must be like to have a year around growing season! Can you feel jealousy through a monitor? Beautiful plants!

Tim

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 6:45PM
Bill_Missy(8b)

Beautiful plants..... Drooling here. Gotta be Steroids :)

Bill

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 7:44PM
esox07

Definitely something is being done right there. Great looking plants. I just got mine out for the summer two days ago.
Bruce

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 7:51PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

As always...incredible! I hope we're all following your video updates, which really show the height, variety, and sheer number of plants in your garden! I can only dream of such productivity!

Josh

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 7:53PM
kuvaszlvr

WOW! Gorgeous plants... heck, I've been fighting aphids all winter and mine sure don't look that good!
Pam

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 9:00PM
tsheets(5)

Lookin' good! That monster brain looks awesome! The bright yellowish green pods really stand out against the dark green leaves.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 12:21PM
PEPPERMEISTER1(6)

Impressive as always Romy, great to see the reaper is already bearing fruit! Those massive branches filled with pods are quite envy inducing.
Looking forward to more updates.

Here is a link that might be useful: PEPPERMEISTER!

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 3:23PM
Phildeez(9b)

Always blows me away when I look at your updates. So many pods so early in the season, I guess part of that is your climate but still impressive. I hope to get some superhots before fall >.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 7:45PM
woohooman

Very nice Romy.

Kevin

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 11:08PM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Everything so beautiful, photography, the pods, the plants and the demonstration of the pod. Thank you Romy, for giving us the opportunity to see your nice work.

How old are those plants and what medium you use? How many gallon container you use for that monster brain strain? It would be very nice of you if you allow me to know.

Caelian

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 5:18AM
romy6(9)

Thank you all for the compliments. I am very fortunate to live in Florida and be able to grow year around. I think the big thing I have done different this year is really stay up on spraying for insects with bonide 218 citrus fruit spray. I use a compost soil with lots of pine bark, top soil , manure, mykos, and ammend with a 10,10,10 granular ,bllod and bone meal. I have my monster brain in a 7 gal. Many are in 3 and 5 gallon nursury pots. Most of my largest plant are two year old give or take.

@peppermeister, I have't forgotten ya. Not sure how many pods I will be able to send ya but will make sure to keep my promise. Mother Narture allowing.

Few more pics.
let the harvest begin

Nice Reaper pod

Chocolate hab is full of pods

Bhut Hybrid

Thanks for stopping bye:)

This post was edited by romy6 on Wed, May 22, 13 at 11:18

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:18AM
sandysgardens

Jamie - As always GREAT pics. I love the Carolina Reaper pic and at the same time it's a bit scary.... You'll have to let me know if it holds up to the hipe once you harvest and enjoy it!!!

Keep the pics and videos coming....

Sandy

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 7:19AM
habjolokia

Great pics Jamie, nice first harvest, wish I was at that point in the season. Still failing at convincing my Wife to move to FL lol, I can dream though. Maybe a compromise and I get a green house instead.

Nice pepper trees, as mentioned above a reaper review please. Are you growing any off the wall crazy variety this year? Have you tried to grow wilds besides tepin?

Mark

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 7:41AM
romy6(9)

Thank you Sandy. I am a bit scared to eat it as well but I will give it a go. I will report back the misery I endure:)

Mark. akways a pleasure to here from you. PLenty of cheap houses for sale in my neighborhood and I could use another chilihead to help out with eating all these supers:) I have a few other nice varieties like the orange primo, peruvian serlano, sepia serpeant( a cross from a douglah and choc scorp I think), a naga x brain, purple bhut X viper, and yellow jonah. Never been a big fan of wilds . They are pretty to look at but produce such small pods. I do love my tepin though and have tried the Florida wild many time with no luck and will most likley try some more wilds in the near future.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 11:25AM
romy6(9)

Few more pics. Strarting to harvest my bounty.

Douglah

Fat 7 pod jonah

Choc habs

yellow primo

Harvest one on Saturday

One on Monday.

And another carolina reaper pod

and the Monster Brain Strain

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 1:17PM
jifjifjif(9b-Florida)

My Lord! Looking awesome, bro!

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 5:02PM
habjolokia

Jamie, Awesome pepper trees and nice pod harvest. You going to dry and grind all that into powder? I would be making hot sauce and powder all day if I were in your neck of the woods. I like the beer caps for size reference.

Mark

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 6:04PM
woohooman

Nice pics romy. Too bad I couldn't overwinter successfully -- maybe i would have some pics also.

Kevin

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 7:28PM
tsheets(5)

Wow! Nice harvest, Jamie! So much color!

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 10:10PM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Well done, everything is bright and beauty. thank you for sharing with us.
Caelian

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 2:47AM
sandysgardens

Jamie - The harvest pics are wonderful. Let us know what that great harvest has been turned into and if you braved it yet on that taste test! I'd love to have a harvest like that - again, great job on the peppers.
Sandy

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 6:52AM
romy6(9)

@jifjif Thank you sir.

@Mark Most of the peppers I am sending to friends nad family. The rest will be made into powder and a few sauces. Really want to give the fermeniting peppers a go. Thank you .

@Kevin Seeing where you live I think you could get away with overwintering a few. But we have not had a freeze in over two years here:)

@Tim Nice to see you buddy. How is that Brainstrain doing. Should be geeting huge like it's momma:)

@Caelian Thank you for the kind words and thank you for stopping bye.

@Sandy I have yet to take the yellow primo challenge but this weekend I will. Most of the pods I will make into powder and might make a fermented sauce . No gurantees though LOL. Thank you

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 10:56AM
romy6(9)

I guess I should throw a few more pics in.

This is one of my younger plants. It is a Peruvian Serlano from the chinense family. It is a fast grower with deep green leaves.

Reaper plant ready to pot up to a 7 gal

Not yellow Brain

Douglah

And this mornings harvest

Thanks for stopping bye

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 11:10AM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Arrgghh!!

[gnashing of teeths]

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 5:51PM
tsheets(5)

Looks like you're working on a Douglah tree, there!

The brainstrains are hanging in there and looking healthy. I've had a couple blooms open, but, not many yet.

Our weather turned to absolute crap! They're talking record rainfall for the month. So, everybody has slowed way down.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 9:40PM
sandysgardens

My thoughts too, quite a Douglah tree you're growing - quite impressive. Keep up the great pepper growing and looking forward to additional pics throughout the season!

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 6:52AM
romy6(9)

Thanks guys for the support.
Some of you were curious about my yellow 7 pod primo. Well this weekend I finally tried one. I was thinking this might be the first yellow pepper to get me good. Thank goodness I was wrong. It is a very tasty pepper with medium heat. I would say in the 300,000 scovillel level
like a hot red hab. Very thin walls and low seed count. Has a floral 7 ish aroma with no bitter or earthy aftertaste. Very clean like a regular 7 pod yellow.

Sliced up with onions an=d galic and some oilive oil. It was very tasty.

And my biggest harvest ever

Have a spicy day

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 3:14PM
habjolokia

Nice spicy dish! Box those up and ship em out to me please. What an Awesome harvest. That's a whole lotta peppers!!!!

Mark

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 3:21PM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Everything is so perfect.
Your recipe is a perfect vegetarian dish, it makes me hungry, I will try that recipe when my plants yield fruits.

Thank you for the updates.

Caelian

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 3:36PM
jifjifjif(9b-Florida)

I can't wait to have a bunch of my current plants become overwinters so next year, I have yields like that! Awesome, brother!

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 4:17PM
tsheets(5)

Holy crap that's a lot of peppers!!

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 9:02AM
romy6(9)

Thanks guys for the kind words. It has been spring to remember:)

So a few of you were wondering what i do with all my peppers. Well the other day I decided to make my first fermented sauce. I used about 30 superhot pepper, drained the iiuce from an 8oz tub of yogurt to get the whey , two tableppoons of salt, 10 percent carrots, 8 percent onion, and about 2 percent garlic. Blended and put in jar in dark place. Now a 45 day ferment should get the ph around 3.5.

The douglah

Reaper

Madballz 7 pot yellow X choc bhut

And Tim and Bill here is the 7 pot jonah from u guys

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 3:08PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

That mash and those plants look fantastic!

Josh

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 5:46PM
peppernovice

Once again your plants amaze me. I hope you try one of those 7 pots soon. I think you got a dud last time. I know it felt like liquid lava when I ate it last year.

Tim

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 9:34PM
romy6(9)

Thanks Josh and Tim. I will try another Jonah soon. Just lots on the plate . My next pepper is the reaper which is fully ripe and teasing me .

Here is a pepper that looks very much like the reaper . This is a orange primo. Or at least we hope it turns orange.

Here is a hybrid not yellow brain gone annuum. Pods look like a cross between a serrano and cayenne? 1 and 1/2 your old ingrounder.

And another harvest from a few days ago

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 1:31PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Wow, what're you doin' with these?!

Josh

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 4:53PM
tsheets(5)

So, you measure your harvest by the pound, yes? ;-)

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 10:22PM
sandysgardens

Jamie - All I can say is 'VERY NICE' and I'm so jealous. In my height of harvesting (not til mid August here in MN) I can't imagine getting anything near what you've already harvested.

I like the hot sauce recipe too. I'm going to have to try it. Please continue to share your pepper pics and recipes.

Sandy

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 1:45PM
romy6(9)

@ Josh , Mainly sauce,powder, give and sell. Thank you

@ Tim, well never before but this year yes.

@ Sandy, Glad you are enjoying my updates. Thank you.

So folks I have tried the Caroliona Reaper and here are my thoughts. It is a very hot and tasty pepper. I do not recommend eating it fresh but for powders and sauces it is great. It has a very floral smell . Looks like a typical 7 pod primo or brainstrain. This pod did not have a ton of placenta but still had lots of oils. Ate a nice size piece and the burn lasted a good 10 minutes before it started to ease up.Mainley mouth and tounge not much back of throat burn. Not the hottest pepper I have ever had but then it again it is not mid summer. When the temps go above 90 my plants seem to produce more capsaicin. Very nice pepper though. Plenty hot but not sure about the hottest on the planet.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 4:35PM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Very nice professional work. Thanks for sharing.
Caelian

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 4:40PM
judo_and_peppers(Tampa FL)

how old is that brain strain tree? that thing is epic. I wanna save it to my phone to show my 7pot what he's supposed to look like.

and here I was excited that the bottom 8" of my biggest thai is turning woody, and here you've got freaking trees!

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:00PM
habjolokia

That surprising that this pepper did not have a ton of placenta as that's the part that would contain the most heat. Even the Bhut has more. I would still want to grow it anyways, it's a cool looking pod.

Can you give us another shot of an open pod once you have summer fruit maybe it will have different results.

Here is a pic from a 7pot cross that was extremely hot, I bet this would give the reaper a run for its money lol! In my opinion this 7pot was hotter than the Bhuts I grow.

Mark

Mark

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:08PM
romy6(9)

@chiliwin, Thank you very much. Very kind of you .

@ Judo_and_peppers. Sorry for the late reply. The Brainstrain is about 2 years old. He has produced 100's of peppers. Thank you

@ Mark, That is a nice pic of a 7 pod. I can smell the strong chinese aroma from here. I will make sure to get a pic of the insides of some of the gnarlier looking peppers on the reaper. It was the the first pod on the plant.

Here is the latest pod ripening:)

A nasty SBJ7 ( scotch bonnetX 7 pod jonah)

Spikey Butch T

This 7 pod brown is hotter than my reaper

brainstrain plant 1

brainstrain plant 2 more morouga shaped

And the infamous madballz's choc bhut X yellow 7

Have a great 4th chili friends

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 11:30AM
woohooman

Romy6:

Great pics and pods! Pretty gnarly shapes.

Question: 2nd pic from bottom-- I notice a lack of foliage. Is this by design? Meaning, do you clip leaves so the plant puts energy into pod production? Did you have some leaf loss on that particular plant? Or what?

Just wanting to learn more from, who I consider, an EXPERT on superhots.

Thanks

Kevin

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 11:48AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Gnarly, pods indeed!
Jaime, your pods are picture perfect :-D

Josh

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 1:02PM
romy6(9)

@ Kevin. I never pic any leaves from my plants. My madballz plants just seem to grow like that. More foliage the better. I will work on that:)

@ Josh Thank you sir. I aim to please. Since I am here I thought I would post my harvest from last night

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 1:45PM
peppernovice

Good Lord Jamie....I can't even read and comment before you have another harvest. I am hereby crowning you "King of Peppers". I only hope to some day achieve half of your Chile-headedness.

Tim

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 1:49PM
sandysgardens

Hey Jamie,

Thought I'd check in with you to see how the summer's been for you and your peppers. Haven't heard from you in a while.

Sandy

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 6:57AM
More Discussions
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
Cooking With Fresh Peppers
When we talk about chili/ hot peppers, hot red peppers...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Where do you find seeds for different hot peppers?
Is there a special place to order seeds for some of...
goldilocs
bad batch of corn … oh
OTOH nothing happened after 26 days with my first batch...
bragu_DSM 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™