Fall update

statenislandpalm7a(7a)September 30, 2012

Hi. I haven't been on the forum in a while. Everything grew so much over the summer.

Some flowers

the last sunflowers

african marigold

zinnia

cardinal vine

Gazaina from seed

Its hard to get a sense of scale but the green row of trees on the left is 6 feet

siam ruby

row of castor bean

This summer I discovered a new hybrid of canna indica in a batch of green canna indica. It has green leaves with a purple stem. The back side of the leaf has a purple edge. I am waiting for it to flower next year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wetsuiter(7b/8a)

Nice! Do you and Alex live near each other?

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 10:43PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Great pics! Those castors have gotten really massive this summer! Everything looks really nice and the canna hybrid should be really interesting! Looking forward to seeing what those blooms will look like! The Basjoo looks great too, it definitely likes its spot in the yard.
Glad to see your update! Hopefully we can get at least another 6 weeks of frost free weather before winter.
-Alex

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 4:58PM
statenislandpalm7a(7a)

wetsuiter - Yeah we both live on staten island

Alex yeah the basjoo is huge the top leaf almost touches the powerlines. I hope so, if we are lucky we wont have a frost till December.

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 7:46PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Last year the first night below 30F was December 7th, the same night that much of Florida had their first frost of the year! I would love for that to continue this Fall. Next week looks very cold though, one day of only 60F! Im bringing in the coconut palm this week!
-Alex

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 8:29PM
bradleyo_gw

Holy majesty!. It's hard to see clearly, but that trunk looks gigantic, it must weigh a ton. Tsk, Tsk, I see EE and banana leaves touching your neighbors ugly arborvitaes. I can't believe that idiot didn't cut the leaves so they they weren't touching.

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 10:25PM
jacklord(7A)

Your postman must love you.

Looks nice.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 4:39PM
statenislandpalm7a(7a)

Thanks everyone.

Alex - I hope so. I didnt bring anything in yet ill start bringing things in when nightly temperatures are in the 40s

Bradleyo- THe majesty is huge. I re-potted it this year and it is rootbound in just 3 months. The trunk is about 10 inches in diameter. The railing in the picture is 4 feet for scale.The neighbor does cut the leaves does cut the leaves but they grow faster then the neighbor could cut them.

Jacklord- lol Im sill getting my mail, so I guess so.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 6:08PM
More Discussions
Areca seeds germinating
For years my palm was seeding but something always...
tropicbreezent
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
Trimming Cycad Fronds
I have two King Sago Palms, in pots, in my enclosed...
mamaheel
Mexican Fan Palm Frond Tips are Black/Brown
Hello, I noticed yesterday that my Mexican Fan Palm...
eemedrelyt
Help! What is wrong with my Windmill Palm?
My windmill palm is approximately 6 yrs old. Today...
lulupalooza06
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™