Fertilizing my Areca Palm

skye_(Zone 10 - South Florida)September 26, 2011

I bought an areca palm last week and planted in a combination of potting soil and sand in a large pot, outside in full sun. It's developing brown spots on some of the fronds. Is this a fungus or pest or just stress from transplanting? I have read that a common pest to this plant is the spider mite and that I should mist the plant twice daily with a soapy water mixture if they are detected but I don't know what a spider mite looks like or where to look for them!

I have not yet fertilized it and would like to know if it's okay to use "Bloom Burst" 10-52-10 or do I need something different and if so, what should I buy?

Does it need to be watered daily? 2-3 times a week?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cmventura

Your new Areca was most likely under a shade cloth, so now that you've placed it in full sun, it might be getting sunburned. I suggest placing it in a spot where it gets half day of sun, rather than all day. Water it deeply. The spider mite thing is way too exaggerated. I have several Arecas and non have that problem so definitely not necessary to spray twice daily. Bloom Burst is for flowering plants, I suggest you buy a Palm fertilizer and use that instead. Be gentle, it's better to under fertilize than to over do it.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 6:50PM
More Discussions
Cycas Revoluta - only two shoots
Hello, I am new here, and I have a question about a...
oxford_pictionary
Bangalow Palm Separation - Triple Planted
hi, i had just separated Bangalow Palms that i just...
acaryofyllis
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
Please help identify my cycad
Hi all, I bought a cycad from a palm nursery that was...
aramat
growing Dypsis lutescens indoors bad idea?
I hear they are really bad indoor plants, What is ideal...
YouthGarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™