Blackening stem on New Mexico Big Jim- HELP!

OjoVerdeMay 13, 2011

Hi, we're growing our first pepper plants (in containers). Our Jalepeno and Pablano look great, but our New Mexico Big Jim looks totally depressed. The leaves are light green with yellow blotches, and what worries me the most is an inch of stem at the top that turned blackish brown. Is she dying? Does anyone know of anything I can do to help her?

I got them as babies. They got too wet in the beginning and I had to emergency transplant them into soil that drains better. The roots were mostly (but not completely) still white. They perked up immediately, but the Big Jim has never looked 100%, and seems to be worsening.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sickly Big Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
romy6(9)

Maybe a phosphate/nitrogen deficiency. Add some bone meal and that should help. The blacking on the stem looks normal to me. Hopefully the experts will chime in with better advice. You may also want to take that lil pepper off so the plant can focus on growing larger which in turn will equate to a larger yielding plant. I usually add a couple table spoons of bone meal and work into the soil.Oh and the bone meal i use has 13% phoshorous 4% nitrogen. Usually greens them up in a week or two.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 4:32PM
Phildeez(9b)

I sure hope it's normal! My peppers have that, most of them. The Hot Cherries are far more black in fact but look healthy otherwise.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 4:55PM
OjoVerde

Ay, caramba! Have I been freaking out over something completely normal?! AWESOME! I hope you guys are right. I'll pick up some bone meal asap. Gracias amigos!

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 5:02PM
Phildeez(9b)

We Hope!

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 5:24PM
OjoVerde

Ay, caramba! Have I been freaking out over something completely normal?! AWESOME! I hope you guys are right. I'll pick up some bone meal asap. Gracias amigos!

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 6:24PM
fiedlermeister(04/05)

That's a normal condition caused by exposure to the sun and you don't need to do anything

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 6:29PM
TColl

man, had me scared for a minute there. Being new to the pepper growing myself, for a second I thought there is somethign wrong with EVERY ONE of my pepper plants

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 8:49PM
OjoVerde

Oh my goodness, sorry for the scare guys... my plants had such a traumatizing beginning with all the wetness, wrong soil and transplanting that I was certain they were dying. I guess I was just looking for signs of death. Thank you so much fiedlermeister. I'm ecstatic to see a stem that looks like mine with a little pepper growing beside it!

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 10:55PM
More Discussions
Sprouting leaves on peppers drying
My new leaves are going dark and drying off in most...
tomyres
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
Gooey Seeds?
For people who are starting their seeds using a paper...
beverly_
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
Fish pepper info?
Once more turning to my hot pepper elders... I used...
uncleflip
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™