Looking for seeds

bubba121605(7 N MS)May 21, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had any extra seeds from giant jalapeños or some super hot varieties. I want to try different kinds but can't afford to buy a bunch of packs (wife would shoot me LOL). If anyone has any extras my email is bubba121605@gmail.com Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsheets(5)

Buy one fresh ripe (some color other than green) pepper at the store. Eat the pepper, plant the seeds. You don't have to do anything special to the seeds. If the pepper is ripe, the seeds will probably grow.

Several Jalapeno varieties are hybrids, and their seeds may not grow true to the pepper they came from. I'm not really up on all my jalapenos, so don't know which ones specifically. Just something to be aware of.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 11:05PM
don555(3a)

You are scoping for seeds in late-May, and expect to actually receive free seeds, germinate them, and get a harvest of ripe peppers this year?

Good luck with that...

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 2:50AM
bubba121605(7 N MS)

Don't I have to dry the seeds? I am doing a indoor grow under lights so time of year doesn't matter. LOL

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:10AM
bubba121605(7 N MS)

I will buy seeds if someone has a variety at a good price I'm just looking to get a good selection of super hots and jalapeño.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 11:33AM
jifjifjif(9b-Florida)

bubba, send me an email. Go to my page and you should see my email address. If you have the right setup of grow lights and a warm place or heating pad for germination, you can grow any time of year, like you said.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 12:05PM
bubba121605(7 N MS)

jifjifjif you have mail. I have a pretty good setup I use a 2' 8 light T5 for germination and veg and I have 2 1000 watt lights for blooming one mh and one hps.I will be using #5 nursery pots my own soil mix.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 1:00PM
habjolokia

Sounds like quite the setup if you are interested in some more varieties shoot me an email

Mark

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 4:53PM
howelbama(7 NJ)

Bubba,

Not for nothing, but I like how you stated how your wife would kill you for buying some seeds... But you are growing under a monster indoor setup lol... How's the electic bill treating you ?

P.s. I'm just messin with you, but thought that was a little funny...

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 8:55PM
bubba121605(7 N MS)

Yea its nice but was expensive. I usually grow tomatos in drip systems but really love peppers so i have space and plenty of light so im expanding. The peppers will be in a soil mix and i think im going with Age Old organics grow bloom and kelp nutrients. I was going to mix ferts in the soil but im just going with a simple soil mix and fert myself and see how things go.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:02PM
bubba121605(7 N MS)

The electric bill when im running everthing usually goes up about $150 a month but thats air pumps water pumps both 1000 watters with the air cooled hood fan a/c floor fans and the T5 running. Usually i only run 1 1000 hps with a agrosun bulb and the T5 which only makes the bill go up around $75 more cause the a/c works less and the other 1000 is off. I need to get some new digital ballast i hear they run more efficiently.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:10PM
abnorm(Orlando)

Bubba .....welcome to the forum....consider adding your location to your posts

I'll make a couple Jalapeno suggestions:

Grande Hybrid......long....typical Jalapeno heat 5,000 SU

Chichimeca Hybrid.....long.....Mild Jalapeno heat 3,500

Jalapeno M.....Extra-Hot......standard Jalapeno-size.....The Jalapeno peppers in the front two pots are M's

and finally.......
Fresno.....Hot.....4" Chilie-shaped....when Green 6,000 SU....Red 10,000 SU

I've got seeds available for these....see my profile for email......Doug

JALAPENO M

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 10:02PM
abnorm(Orlando)

Seeds sent...............doug

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 7:36AM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Very nice plants, Abnorm. I am thinking to try next year. I am curious about your potting soil.
Caelian

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 10:09AM
bubba121605(7 N MS)

Thank you and yes I'm also curious about the potting mix.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 1:08PM
naturemitch(3/4 WI)

nice set-up abnorm. what size are those buckets, and why do you have them set up off the ground? just curious.

looks great!

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 10:04PM
abnorm(Orlando)

Thanks .........

I use a version of the infamous 511 for my grow media.......I have a souce of great PineBarkFines that I use without sifting ......Coarse Perlite ......and usually a peat-based potting soil for the final "peat" portion........Osmocote CRF .......Lime......And this year I added MILORGANITE (High Nitrogen processed sludge). The plants have florished this year......I have always been shy about adding TOO much nitrogen but maybe I was actually starving them.

Originally I started with buckets on the ground........Large plants and windy conditions often led to tipped plants......also my small city lot is surrounded by large trees.....some with invasive roots seeking my highly fertilized buckets. As I get older I welcome the ease of care resulting from the raised buckets and I see far less bugs. The stucture also allows additional support for a heavy producer.......

I start with two posts set in the ground and notch those posts to firmly hold a support cross member.......Two "ladders" are built and attached on opposite sides of the posts balanced on the supports.....of course the "ladders" are built to the exact size of the buckets.....

Those (dollar store) black pots are only 3 Gallon and came with poly-rope handles.....their wide lip made a natural hanger.....I could never find the same pot again so I standardized on a cat-litter-bucket that also holds 3 Gallons.
These disposable buckets have only a small lip so construction needs to be accurate.....Here's a nice Aji Amarillo in a litter bucket in a newer structure

doug

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 7:43AM
More Discussions
Time Lapse Video of Carolina Reaper Sprouting
Check it out my little reapers are finally coming up....
capsicummaximum
Aleppo Pepper?
I've heard of this variety and it's big in the Middle...
reversethong
Poblano question
I live in central oklahoma. I garden in well amended...
scottcalv
Pepper Plant Wilting at Night
Hi All, My plant has been growing lovely, but at night...
salevene
have 3rd generation hot bell (jalepeno bell cross)-- seed swap
need bhut jolokia/ghost pepper immediately- it's getting...
greengrass12
Sponsored Products
Herman Miller | Eames® Lounge Chair, White Ash
YLiving.com
40 Inch Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Brick Paver 32" Round Brezza Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Stone Mill Hardware Milton Oil-rubbed Bronze Cabinet Pulls (Pack of 10)
Overstock.com
Ryder 48 diam. in. Round Glass Top - CTY1440
$229.99 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Oriental Weavers Rugs Nevis Boardwalk Beige/Red
$59.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™