huge and hairy - ID please

dvdNJ(z6 NJ)August 22, 2010

I have a vacation home by a lake in a heavily wooded area in NE PA. I arrived yesterday to be greeted by a "huge" (probably around 4" long) what I thought was a silverfish on my bathroom wall -- very long antenna, and somewhat furry. It did not have a lot a legs like a centipede, but its body appeared hard-armor-like; brown with black stripes. I don't like killing any creature so I got a paper towel to capture it and send it outside, but to my surprise it had huge hopping back-legs like a katydid and scared the daylights out of me when it went 'flying' across room -- certainly unlike any silverfish I had ever seen. I have a broken foot so I couldn't chase it around the bathroom, so it had to see its demise :-( -- I'm sorry to say. I wished I had tried to photograph it first! It was like something from prehistoric days! :-) Any thoughts, you guys?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Oh, man....I was hoping for a scary picture with that kind of lead in! ;-(

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 11:28PM
dvdNJ(z6 NJ)

yeah -- I wished I had not been so frightened by it and had taken a moment to photograph it. Doing an internet search, I've come up empty handed, so I'm really kicking myself now!

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 10:02PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

I was thinking the same thing rhizo. Thought we were going to get a glimpse of Sasquatch.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
Seedlings being cut by pest
My precious seedlings are being decapitated by an unknown...
tomatosensei
Tomato Leaf Disease
The tomato disease has begun here in Miami. Does this...
garf_gw
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™