White flakes / specs on leaves of shrub

jaomonkAugust 3, 2011

Can someone kindly tell me what these elongated flakes on the leaves of a shrub in front of our house indicate? Is it from an insect or a disease? How to take care of it? Thanks a bunch!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Looks like euonymus scale, tough to get rid of.
hortster

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 9:23PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Agreed. Very common on euonymus. Choose the remedy that comports with your worldview.

Dan

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 9:36PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Just so you know....'scale' is a dreaded INSECT pest. And your shrub is a euonymus of one kind or another. If you have euonymus, you'll probably end up with a scale infestation.

In the event that you are really interested, the white flakes are the adult male of the species and the differently shaped darker ones are the adult females.

I think that I'd rate this as a pretty serious infestation.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 11:31PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Probably scale and the most often used control is a horticultural oil which smothers the wee buggers. During the growing season a "summer" oil can be used, with care. During the dormant season a "dormant oil" can be used.

Here is a link that might be useful: scale on plants

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 8:00AM
jaomonk

Thank you everyone for the replies! I'll look into management of scale and treatment alternatives.

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 12:37AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Just remember that many of us have removed euonymus entirely because of this problem. A heavy infestation such as yours is very difficult to get under control. It's likely that you'll have to deal with scale on this shrub for the rest of its natural life, even if you are able to get the problem under management.

One method (other than total removal) might entail cutting the whole plant back to the ground this coming spring, then applying horticultural oil at different times during the year. The new growth will emerge scale-less, but you'll have to keep after it to maintain it.

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 12:55AM
More Discussions
Tomato Leaf Disease
The tomato disease has begun here in Miami. Does this...
garf_gw
Brush cerry transplant shock HELP!
just bought this brush cherry,3 days after I got it...
halocline
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™