Small (so far...) WhiteFly infestation. Help?

OjoVerdeMay 17, 2011

I know there are some old messages in this forum regarding whitefly remedies, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any recent success stories as most of the older follow-ups seemed to convey a strong "you're S.O.L." message.

So far my infestation is small (two pepper plants- "here and there" style). I've scrubbed the leaves for eggs/larva, but I know they'll still multiply. I can't use ladybugs or wasps in my apartment. Has anyone had luck with seaweed spray? Home remedies? Organic/safe insecticides? Anything?

I'm desperate. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Phildeez(9b)

Whiteflies were the 2nd easiest to deal with this year for me, and I have had almost everything. If you cannot use lady bugs then mix a solution of 50/50 isopropyl to room temp water. You will hear mixed reviews about this, and if you use it too much you can definitely harm your plants. I found it to be extremely effective, most so on whiteflies. Remember to look at the percent of your alcohol, try to make the solution 50%, not just 50% by volume.

Get an adjustable spray bottle and spray the undersides of the leaves only with one good mist, this is where the eggs and 99% of the whiteflies reside so I dont bother spraying the tops. Be sure the plants are ventilated and spray no more than once every couple days.

You can use traps in conjunction with spray and it is very effective, the ones that escape without dying instantly will often fly straight onto the traps.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 6:37PM
OjoVerde

Thanks Phildeez! I'll try this right away and post an update in a week or so incase of future whitefly sufferers.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 12:13PM
souf(9)

shake the plant and when they fly off suck them up with a dust buster

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 1:59PM
More Discussions
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
Problems Germinating Seeds
Hi Everyone, I used to be able to germinate seeds....
newmexmike
Wow! Sure seems slow!
In the midst of seedling season, I would expect the...
woohooman
New to H. Peppers and a few questions
Hi all I am going to try my hand at hot peppers this...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
YELLOW ghost pepper???
We had 4 ghost pepper plants on the deck all summer...
zelicindy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™