Chiggers!

taxtaxAugust 26, 2011

I was wondering what the hell was biting me always on my waist band and ass (no joke). I was blaming everything from invisible mosquitoes to bed-bugs.

Then my girlfriend pointed out that bites in those specific locations are almost always chiggers. I then did a bit of reading and I'm sure that's what it is.

The problem now is, how the hell to lesson the numbers in the garden? It seems I almost always get these damn chigger bites when working in the garden. It's at the point where I won't even sit down to read anywhere near the garden.

Our damn environmentally-nutzo city hall has banned any type of pesticide use over the last few years, and the whole city has been up uproar at the mass outbreaks in tics and every other nasty thing you can think of, but the city hall refuses to budge on this environment issue, no matter the risk of lime disease to children & pets.

So... what can I do now? I'm getting tired of scratching my ass all day (sorry!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Wear protective personal repellent on your person and on your clothes. Spray your shoes and socks, and even tuck your trousers into your socks. Keep the grass mowed and the weeds cleared and you'll cut down the population somewhat.

Truly, using whatever insect repellents you can tolerate is the best solution. I'd also suggest that you hit a hot shower when you come in from the outdoors....and toss your clothes in the washer.

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 11:08PM
taxtax

Yes, I read to take a shower after being outside, and never wear the same pants twice. Anyhow, due to the heatwave we had this year I also wore shorts more than I usually due which obviously wasn't much a help.

I just wish there was some other answere, like spreading lady-bugs or something else to cut down on the chigger population.

Maybe hummingbirds or preying mantids would help? I guess chiggers are too small to be caught by them.

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 1:24AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

No, mantids, hummingbirds, and ladybugs won't help.

Truthfully, plain ordinary mosquito repellants work, including herbal and 'natural' products. A favorite repellent in some locations is Avon's Skin-So-Soft bath oil applied generously and frequently to the skin. It can also be mixed with water and sprayed on...including your clothes.

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 2:51PM
pjaxson

you're going to have to used major bug spray, and shower more frequently.

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
Weeding raised beds!
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™