Help sick Asian pear tree! 911!!!

globo-boboAugust 14, 2012

My parents are on vacation and left me to care for their house and garden. I've been watering their plants and fruit trees almost every day and noticed that some of their Asian Pears are turning black! I've never had a green thumb and usually unintentionally kill every plant I come in contact with. The pears are fine but start to turn black from the base then the blackness spreads to the rest of the fruit. Finally when the pear turns completely black they fall off the tree. They've had this tree for years and this has never happened. I had planted a pumpkin plant not too far away that grew white moss all over it. Yesterday I removed the pumpkin plant thinking it spread its disease to the tree. What could it be and how do I stop it?

Help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i think you gratuitously killed the pumpkin ...

though you will probably get an answer here.. you might want to also try in the fruit forum ...

to my ear/eye.. sounds like a stem rot.. so i added pear.. and googled for you.. see link

its nothing you did.. the cure.. if any.. will probably involve multiple sprayings of the tree over the entire growing season.. which is why.. i gave up on fruit in the yard.. its just not worth the chemical exposures ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 9:34AM
More Discussions
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
Seedlings being cut by pest
My precious seedlings are being decapitated by an unknown...
tomatosensei
sick chaya tree
There is a crack on the lower part of the trunk and...
jane2014_ec
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™