OK Drought Monitor--Big Increase in Worst Categories

Okiedawn OK Zone 7November 29, 2012

This week's Oklahoma Drought Monitor map shows that drought continues to intensity again across most of the state.

The amount of OK in Extreme (D-3) and Exceptional (D-4) increased significantly since last week's report. Over 90% of OK now is in Extreme or Exceptional Drought.

The OK Drought Monitor map is linked below.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: OK Drought Monitor for 11/27/12

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

The linked news article from the News section of the OK Mesonet describes in detail how drought worsened during November.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drought Picture Worsens During November

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 9:57AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

And I just finished watching Dust Bowl on PBS - scary.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 11:00AM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Helen, I agree!

Dawn

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 7:24PM
biradarcm(7b)

I just back from the South-Central Climate Science Center Science Workshop...in identifying near- and longer-term, high-priority mitigation measures (research) related to climate induced impacts in the region. Based on the interaction with climate folks, things seems to be not positive in next few(?) years, but I am bit positive that assumptions may go wrong and things will get better... -Chandra

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 7:10AM
soonergrandmom

Chandra, I sure hope that you are right and the rains come. I worked for awhile yesterday digging out some grass that had taken root during the summer when it was just too hot to be outdoors, and my garden still has some moisture. Of course, I am in (or near) that sliver of the State that isn't quite so bad. We are not getting measurable rainfall, but we have had a few light sprinkles and several days last month with just a light mist. I have a low tunnel which has condensation inside the plastic many mornings, and a tub of lettuce that I watered yesterday for the first time in November. I am not nearly as dry as I was during the summer months.

2013 may be the year that we should plant the heat lovers and dry tolerant plants only.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 10:44AM
slowpoke_gardener

I am pretty dry also. Because of the drought and being to busy I did not plant a cover crop. One of the problem I have with a cover is it does not permit the soil to dry as well (I live in a low wet area). This may have been my best year for a cover crop.

I am also thinking about having a well drilled. The cost of food, well drilling, and everything else is going up much faster than the interest at the bank, a well may be my best investments.

I fear that our living standards are going to drop pretty fast over the next several years.

Larry

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
Attracting Beneficial Insects to Your Landscape
Sometimes I think many gardeners tend to overreact...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
Pinching growing tips on tomato seedlings?
Every spring usually after I've transplanted my tomatoes,...
jcheckers
Atwoods Seed Potato Sale $2.99/5lb 3/1/2015
2015 Atwoods Seed Potato Sale $2.99 5lb as of this...
chickencoupe
Pictures to warm us up
So far I have 20 flats- a few plants I lost to applejuice....
luvncannin
Cross pollination of mixed packet of flower seeds?
If I have a packet of mixed carnations, for example,...
chickencoupe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™