queen palm prunning

lbphathead19October 29, 2007

I have a few queen palms that are about 15 feet in height. We had some strong winds recently and the branches blew all over the palce. I have 2 of the palms staked but they seem to be extremly top heavy fom the large braches. They were planted about 4 months ago and do not have much growth except the few large branches that i would like to prune off because they are causing the palm to fall over. If I do pune the large branched the palm will be left with little foiliage. What should I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julieb_2006

You are not suppose to prune anything above the bud. Also your tree gets much needed nutrients from the fronds and they should not be cut.

Bookmark   October 29, 2007 at 11:12AM
lbphathead19

First what is the bud. Second i guess I should just bit the bullet and wait to prune even if the palm looks like hell.

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 2:31AM
julieb_2006

The bud is the center part of the tree where the new growth comes out. I know its hard to look at the tree when it doesn't look very attractive but the end results of leaving the fronds on until they turn yellow or brown are great. When I first got my queens I wanted to prune it so it would look better. Then after doing alot of reading I learned to not cut the fronds for cosmetic reasons. Now my trees are doing great and look really nice.

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 11:02AM
guapogardener

I agree...do not cut any fronds from your Queen Palm until they are yellow. That's how you know when to trim. Make sure that you're fertilizing too. Manganese and Magnesium are essential to this palm to avoid frizzle top

Bookmark   November 3, 2007 at 1:30PM
islandbreeze

You're not supposed to cut anything off that's green. Another rule of thumb is anything above 180 degrees from the top of the trunk. Anything hanging below that should be trimmed sparingly.

Bookmark   November 3, 2007 at 4:30PM
suedonfll

Hi
My Queen palm froze and all of the frons are brown. I have 1 small green sprat coming out of the center. should I cut all the brown frons off?
Thanks Don

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 3:51PM
quantummechaniks_yahoo_com

I know this is an old post, but I have a quick question. I have two queen palms next to each other in the back yard over a walkway. One of them Grew to be much higher than the other and in fact it doesn't look good when its that high. I want to cut it so that they are the same size, is it possible to do this?

This would mean that all the fronds would be cut off. Would it grow them back or would it die? I would be cutting about 1/4 of the tree off, the highest part. Is this ok or no?

Here's an image to show what I mean... http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/212/100607queenpalm.th.jpg

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 1:08PM
quantummechaniks_yahoo_com

Actually I'm cutting more than that off, if I cut it there it would just grow back the same size. In that picture it looks like 1/5 so more like 1/4. Again, that ok?

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 1:13PM
theseventhlegend

Do not do that Jon. You will kill your taller Queen Palm.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
Windmill palm still alive in Chicago!
Going to have to build a bigger box next year! This...
rosekuchar
This new format sucks!
I think I'm done posting here.
bradleyo_gw
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
Germinating Bismarckia nobilis in cool subtropical climate
Hi, I am on Pico island in the Azores and there is...
PicoAzores
Sterling, VA trachy???
Anyone seen or have updates on that big Sterling, Virginia...
islandbreeze
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™