insect egg identification

madmac2007September 12, 2007

I have a "moth-like" bug laying eggs on all my south facing window screens. Initially they're teeny tiny and white, in a cluster (one is laying them in a loop pattern as I write this!). Then within a day or two they turn dark brown and are there for some time. Sometimes there are "unfertilized" eggs that remain white. This is the second year in a row this has happened and I'd like to know specifically what it is. There are too many moth species to look up and identify - and I'm not even sure that's what it is. Can anyone help with my ongoing fascination?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

It might help us if you tell where you live, also what size and color is the "moth-like" bug you see.

Beyond that, can you post a photo of the adult?

Bookmark   September 12, 2007 at 1:58AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'm trying to think of a moth that would deposit her eggs on a window screen!

Bookmark   September 12, 2007 at 7:59AM
madmac2007

I live in on old farm land outside of Chicago. The bug was a greyish-beige and about 1 inch long. I tried to take a picture but she was laying eggs during the night, so none of the pictures came out. It was the first time I've ever even seen what kind of bug it was laying the eggs. I'll keep an eye out...if I ever see one during the day, I'll post a picture.

Bookmark   September 12, 2007 at 1:21PM
musicalpets1_yahoo_com

I live in Rhode Island. This past Monday I woke up to two circles of tiny brown insect eggs on my south facing bedroom window screen. This morning one of the circles of eggs hatched into tiny white worms which are no also gone. The other circle has not hatched yet. I would love to know what layed the eggs. Any info would be great!

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 12:56PM
kkarsseboom_gipe_net

THis fall I found some interesting looking egg casings. It looks like a little dollop of whipped cream at the base of some of my plants. I don't know if these are from beneficial insects or not and will not get rid of them if this is the case. Can someone identify this insect egg casing for me?

Bookmark   January 3, 2011 at 1:09PM
crayon_lover_yahoo_com

Today, I found some oval-shaped eggs in my garage that are about 1 cm long and they are dark with lines. Inside, it's slimy and wet.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
Question for the 'Regular' contributors
I've noticed a real slow down in this forum since the...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™