Have a few plants wilting

ab2008(6)May 20, 2013

This was taken after I pulled up one of the pretty wilting plants to see if I could see what was going on.

This is one of the tomatoes, but I do have about 4 pepper plants that have done the same. Notice how the plant narrows just before it gets to ground level above the roots? Is this the act of any insects? Or could it be too much moisture? We have had a lot of rain the last couple of days and I just wonder if that's the culprit? Or perhaps today is normal than average after a few days of nothing but cloud cover and such?

I'm kind of at a loss for words because just a day or two ago most of these plants looked perfectly fine. They have been in the ground well over a couple of weeks now.

Most of the larger tomato plants look fine, this one was one of the smaller ones. Just seems odd...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjetski(6b NJ)

Looks like too small of a root mass for a stalk that size.

The shriveled stalk can be a healed over bacterial infection (damping off), more likely to happen with lots of surfaces wetness and temp fluctuations.

Imho it's early enough in the season to yank out the compromised plants, and just replace them with new ones. The weaklings often become disease vectors in my experience. The weather is probably stabilized for zone 6 now (barring constant rain) so it should be safe to replant.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 9:59AM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

Yes, damping off. Probably too wet, or too cold and too wet. Could be the plants in question were borderline for a while previously and the recent weather tipped things over the edge.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 11:00AM
esox07

i agree with damping off. Normally I have seen it as an indoors problem, but cold wet conditions outside can do the same thing. I am not sure of your location and recent weather but that is likely the reason given your the symptoms you provide. Do those plants get a lot of direct sun? Has it been wet and cool lately? Once the plants get more mature, they will be less prone to problems like this.
It is still early enough to hit the garden centers for some replacements so just consider it a minor setback at this point.
Bruce

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
Failed Germination: Anyone have spare seeds they'd like to spare?
Hey everyone. First time being on here since last season,...
tom1992
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
Problems Germinating Seeds
Hi Everyone, I used to be able to germinate seeds....
newmexmike
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™