Pot Help

NicholasHJune 16, 2014

I just repotted my Plumeria. I wanted to find a bigger, black nursery pot. I went to Lowe's, Home Depot, Houston Garden Center, and Walmart. I couldn't find anything. Almost every pot that was plastic didn't have holes in the bottom. Or wasn't big enough. So I decided to get a clay pot. I've read that clay pots are bad for Plumerias. I don't know what to do because there is a inflo coming out of one of my branches and I don't want to mess with the rooting system.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rox146

how many holes at the bottom? Drill more with a mason bit? roxanne

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 5:59PM
NicholasH

There is one big hole at the bottom. I don't have a drill w/ a mason bit. My concern is the type of pot. I've heard that clay pots are not good for Plumerias. Supposedly the roots stick to the sides of the pot and dry up quickly. Do I stick w/ the clay pot or try to find a black nursery pot some how?

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 6:17PM
rox146

Paint the plastic one you like the color you want

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 6:31PM
NicholasH

Color is not my issue. Like I said the type of pot is my issue. Thanks for the advice though.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 6:38PM
rox146

As I am sure you know then....the number of wholes in the bottom of any pot is extremely important. Many on our neighbors trees are in terra cotta pots and loving it. enjoy

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 6:56PM
NicholasH

thx

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 6:58PM
kasiec

Hi NicholasH - the pot you have it in is fine. Use pot feet to keep the pots off the concrete floor so that you'll have better drainage. Pot feet can be found at any garden center. And when you have to repot due to it being root bound, breaking the pot is not necessary. When you get to that point, just do a search on this forum and you will find lots of info and pictures on how to root prune and repot.

Happy gardening,
Kasie

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 9:30PM
jandey1(TX8)

Don't worry, it'll be fine and better off not being transplanted before blooming.

I have several in clay pots and they do just fine. Plastic is easier but black plastic in Texas is not desirable in summer either.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
plumeria not flowering
A friend of mine has a plumeria which has never flowered....
annie_____
Are you Oklahoma boys okay?
Been watching the weather out your way. Mike, Robert,...
moonie_57
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Easy bloomers
What are the easiest plants to get to bloom easily?...
tamela_star
A few blooms from Madeira
Aloha plumeria friends! Wanted to share a few beauties...
David Richter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™