Spittlebugs on Pennisetum

forensicmomSeptember 20, 2012

I planted 8 pennisetum at the park near my house a week and a half ago. I've watered them very good, every other day but they're still turning brown. They were all root bound and ALL had evidence of spittlebugs at the base.

I'm not sure what could be causing the browning? Water, spittlebugs or root issues?

I just replaced all of these because the ones I planted last year did not come back at all. Everything else (miscanthus, knockout roses, black eyed susans and a few others) thrived with the same amount of water, sunlight, soil, etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

well.. it is fall.. its a grass ... they were abused stock all summer [??? they are buggy] ... recently transplanted ...

could they simply be going dormant a bit early ??? pix????

do you see any life deep within the plant ????? what i might loosely call.. next years buds????

or are they evergreen in your zone????

save your recpt ....

ken

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 8:50AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Spittlebugs are a problem in the spring & early summer. Don't know what those grasses had. Have?

Why turning brown so early in the game? Likely the original rootballs are dry.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 9:59PM
forensicmom

Thanks for responding. Yes, I'm certain they are spittlebugs. I'm a master gardener and we studies these, so I'm familiar. They have been well watered every other day since planting. Several are turning more brown then the others, which is why I asked if it might be the spittlebugs. Just not sure. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 7:28AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

We need pictures.

Further, plants turn brown within a week of when they were planted if they have a water problem in the original rootball -- is the original potting mix wet, dry, or moist?

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 10:47PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Spittlebugs are very easy to see and tell if present because of the spit ball they form on infested plants. Mostly they are not enough of a problem to require drastic control measures and simply knocking them off plants with a sharp water stream is enough. Some sources do mention apply a pesticide under pressure, something that would knock the wee buggers off the plant with the pesticide most likely doing more harm to any predators then the target.
A very large population of spittlebugs may cause harm to plants but I've not seen that yet even as an Advanced Master Gardener.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Spittlebugs

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 6:56AM
susanzone5(z5NY)

You say they were rootbound. Did you tease out the tangled roots or cut them so they could grow outward? This sounds like shock to me. Too long in the pot and then transplanted to another place. Maybe dogs peed on them in this park? Just guessing here.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Weeding raised beds!
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Brush cerry transplant shock HELP!
just bought this brush cherry,3 days after I got it...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™