Windmill Palm update from Kentucky

lovethosepalms(z6 ky)October 24, 2009

Well it is getting that time of the year for a update picture of my Windmill Palm.

Here is was in 2003

And here it is now.

Another picture

I don't post much anymore, but for the old timers on the forum I think you will remember this Palm.

Even without much of a summer, it has grown some.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lovethosepalms(z6 ky)

I also wondered if someone would want a Queen Palm, it's getting too large to bring in, this will have to be the last time to get it in the house. One thing I have thought about that I could cut a hole in the concerate and plant it in the center of the padio, then get someone to enclose patio with windows and make it a sun room.

I leave the queens out under porch until it gets down in the low twenties and then I bring them in.

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 8:58AM
mike-jaramillo(Z6b)

wow I remeber when you put that in the ground. It looks great!! Is it a male or female? Did you ever think about trying a wagnerianus . Im glad it looks so good.

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 9:37AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

It looks fantastic. I never realized windmill palms got that much growth in only 6 years (but im sure it was cared for very well!)

Good luck.

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 12:51PM
jimhardy

WOW-THAT'S A BEAUTY!

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 2:03PM
fr8train(4 Wyoming)

Very impressive, I wasn't expecting that much growth! Your windmill looks great! I hope I'll see that kind of growth someday.

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 8:04PM
rambler24(7)

I live in TN and planted a windmill palm and a needle palm this past spring. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what I should do, if anything, to protect them this winter? I would love to hear what you have done since your winters are worse than mine. Thanks for the post.

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 8:20AM
lovethosepalms(z6 ky)

Mike, I forgot how to tell if they are male or female, in lighten me.

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 8:18AM
mike-jaramillo(Z6b)

the male flowers open and then mature fore a few days or week.They will have yellow powerder all over them. The female flowers will not and they will look like a bunch of green dots and if you shake pollen on it when there ripe you will see pollen stick to the female parts.

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 5:44PM
islandbreeze

Yeah, i remember that palm. Thats one of the fastest growing windmills I've seen. Clearly a long term survivor. What was the low temp you got down to last winter? I know last winter was a cold one for many of us.

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 9:17PM
brooklyngreg(7a NYC coastal plain)

Its in a very visible spot I wonder what neighbors say? How do winterize? What lights do you use?

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 11:03AM
lovethosepalms(z6 ky)

Island, it went down to 4 degrees below zero, that was the coldest I recorded, we had a bad icestorm and that really hurt the palm.

Brook, my neighbors have never said a word about the palms, however I have had a few people that deliver packages and things asked about it. The only protection I use is I put mini christmas tree light around the trunk, I have no idea if this helps anything it just makes me feel better.

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 6:21PM
brooklyngreg(7a NYC coastal plain)

i heard lights are a great help, and your tree seems like proof :)

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 1:21AM
serj_ukraine

lovethosepalms, how long (how many hours) you had 4 degrees below zero?

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 4:08AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I cant believe no one asks about it! They probably think its fake because of the trunk, but thats a real, healthy, windmill palm. At least you get to enjoy it, I know I did :)

Good luck!

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 11:10AM
lovethosepalms(z6 ky)

Ukraine,

It stay at 4 degree for several hours, and the highest temp, of that day was 17 degrees.

I have a picture of it last winter in the ice storm, I will find it and post it in this thread.

I so enjoy it, and I planned two 10 gallon out in front of the house this past summer.

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 8:27AM
serj_ukraine

lovethosepalms, thanks a lot for answering! Good luck for your palms in future.

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 12:02PM
jimhardy

Serj
You could always get lovethosepalms general location and look at weather underground.They keep records so.....you could actually go back a few years and see what the weather was like before and after the -4(F) event to see how cold hardy Trachys really are.
I'm guessing the weather "warmed"back up not to long after the cold event?

Lovethosepalms
What's the nearest large town we(or I) could compare to your area for weather data?

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 2:52PM
anttisepp

Great palm,
great palm-grower,
great respect! :)
Antti

Bookmark   November 3, 2009 at 2:23PM
planterjake

Wondering how you rWindmill is doing after the past year and a half? Would love to see pics of it!

JAKE

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 1:54AM
Hunter_M(Kentucky Z.6)

Id like to see pics too! My dad is getting an interview for going to north Kentucky for a job. Lets see how it goes!
What part of KY are you at?

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 1:16PM
kent_mc

The first photo was supposed to have been taken in 2003, but the date of the photo was 4/9/06 at 4:38 p.m. The second and third photos were taken on 10/24/09 at 6:57 a.m. If these dates are correct, then there were only three years between the first and second photos. I planted two windmill palms three years ago, and they have only slightly grown. I would like to know how this palm grew so rapidly. My zone is now 6b based upon the new 2012 USDA Plant Hardiness map. Has anybody else had such rapid growth?

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 1:14AM
palm_crazy

I'm so encouraged to see these photos of your beautiful windmill palm in KY! I planted this one in 2010 here in southern WV (Appalachian Mountains, about 2600' in elevation) and it has grown about 2' in relatively short time. I do protect it from late Nov. to early April because Appalachian winters are so wet.

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 1:33PM
palm_crazy

Windmill palm mid-July 2010 (southern WV)

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 1:38PM
palm_crazy

Windmill palm July 2011 (southern WV)

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
Mexican Fan Palm - Getting a wee to close to the pool.
We are recent transplants to the southwest so not much...
ranquet91
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
Mexican Fan Palm Frond Tips are Black/Brown
Hello, I noticed yesterday that my Mexican Fan Palm...
eemedrelyt
Areca seeds germinating
For years my palm was seeding but something always...
tropicbreezent
Please help identify my cycad
Hi all, I bought a cycad from a palm nursery that was...
aramat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™