Red Squirrel Problem

tmcguinn1September 18, 2006

I have a family of red squirrels living in the dormer above my master bedroom. No access to that area, but I found the hole in the trim outside where they are getting in. So far I have seen the mother and three babies. There could be more babies as they only step out of the hole and then dart back in. I was told not to catch the mother just yet or the babies would freak and not come out of the hole and then they would die in there and create a "slight" odor problem. So, I have set a trap out there locked open with cashews (only nut I have in at the moment) sprinkled nearby to try to get them used to the trap being there. (Nothing else to do anyway until I can catch them). Using a havahart 1030. Was told 1040 is better but hard to find. Using cashews dipped in PB so they stick to the roof and don't roll off because it is a very sloped roof. Question is, cashews don't seem to be disappearing. Do red squirrels like anything else better? Also, trap is on sloped roof. Will it work ok there? It's secure as I put two nails in that it is wedged on. Tested it and seems to spring, but would it be better elsewhere? I want to make sure I catch the right squirrels and I tried to get it close to their hole, but as I said it is a pretty steep pitch and frankly, I'm scared out there and I put it as far as I can reach hanging out and around the window. Last question, what is the best (read least scary) way to destroy the pests once I get them? I'm kind of squeamish but will do it. Don't want them back and don't want the problem moving to someone else. Thanks for any help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'm trying to thing what forum might offer help to you, but can't come up with one.

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 10:17AM
anitamo(5)

I'd try the wildlife forum. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 9:35PM
flhardatwork(9)

I don't know about red squirrels, but grey squirrels in Florida may be about the same with babies. I'd just let them be. Catching even one may disrupt their normal behavior, especially if you get the mother and they become separated. The babies WILL perish if not yet weaned. Normally at about 6-8 weeks or so the babies will be weaned and normally by 12 weeks from birth will venture out on their own to find their own nest. Hopefully in a tree this time!! Once you see them leave and see the mom outside, try to seal up the entrance to their cozy abode. No easy task, I know. Maybe cover that spot with aluminum or something equally hard to knaw through. They'll usually make another nest in a few days or less. My wife rescues wildlife in Florida and this is her suggestion. Normally they won't do any harm in your attic. You don't want them to make it their permanent home though or they'll bring in fleas and eventually you'll start to get that 'animal smell' from decaying food and droppings. Good luck and hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions we may be able to help with.

Bookmark   September 21, 2006 at 11:25AM
More Discussions
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
coleus crisis -- leafhopper/ weevil/ cyclamen mites combo?
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™