Squash bugs and subterranean termites

Jedonne(6/7)September 27, 2012

I just found this part of the forum, and I'm hoping someone can help me with my vegetable garden.

I was completely overrun by squash bugs this summer. They were SO bad that they literally decimated my pumpkins, winter squash and summer squash.

Another problem I had was these subterranean termites. ICK! They are EVERYWHERE - not just in the garden, but they feast on the roots of baby plants and older plants alike. The care not whether their food is dead or alive.

Finally, the ants. I have several types of ants. Some seem to not bother anything, but the really big ones carry off my seed and eat my plants - no matter how big or small. Also, there are little black ants that like to live on my okra and beans. Haven't determined if they actually hurt anything though.

I'd like to take care of my pests organically - or at least with as little chemicals as possible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Termites don't eat live plants.

Please post pictures so that we can help you determine what is running amok in your garden.

Post images of the critters and of the plant damage please.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 10:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Termites eat cellulose, most often that which is found in woody materials. Termites are needed to digest the fallen trees in the forest, but not the felled trees we build our houses of. So termites are not the problem in your garden, something else is.
Ants are part of Ma Natures recycling machine and will work on most anything they determine to be waste. So even though you have ants in your garden they are not, really, a problem.
Squash bugs, Squash Vine Borer, Cucumber Beetles, etc. can be real problems in any garden and the best defense is a good offense. Floating Row Covers an help as can encouraging beneficial or predator insects to hang around. Most all insecticides will kill off these beneficial/predators as well as the insect pests, however.
This link to an ATTRA publication may be of soem help.

Here is a link that might be useful: organic control of squash pests

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 7:28AM
More Discussions
Pepper problem
I am a doctor and gardening beginner, trying my luck...
heshamsaeed
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Can I fix these split branches?
I have two different bushes/shrubs that have split...
dblank
problem with skunk cabbage
My Eastern skunk cabbages aren't doing so well. I believe...
weirdflowers
Sponsored Products
8' Red Cedar Heavy Duty Picnic Table w/Attached Benches
Fifthroom.com
Allergy Guardian Premium Microfiber Comforter Encasings
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Larvik Papyrus 4' Round
Home Depot
Crestview Squash It Canvas Wall Decor
Beyond Stores
Accent Rug: Larvik Flame Orange 2' 6" x 4'
$88.97 | Home Depot