Crickets

clysta(8)September 10, 2010

Every year in Arizona I am inundated with crickets. Indoors I spray with RAID, but would like to catch them out doors before they get into the house. Our winters aren't cold enough to kill the eggs layed by the summer crowd. What does everyone else use?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Not even the winters in Michigan are cold enough to kill many insect eggs, including the crickets. There is a bait you can place outside that can offer some control and it contains a protazoan called " Nosema locustae".
That spray you have been using in the house is a very toxic and broad spectrum poison that contains a synthetic pyrethroid as the active ingrediant. It is not something I would expose my family to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poisons

Bookmark   September 11, 2010 at 6:56AM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

A cricket basket and a hook. I gather them, take them to the lake, put them on the hook and cast into a fish's mouth. Great rewards for a great bait.

Bookmark   September 11, 2010 at 12:03PM
clysta(8)

Kimmer!
Thanks for the tip! I would much rather go green if possible. Have ordered some of the protozoans already.

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 12:30AM
clysta(8)

The protzoans did not work. I hired somene to spray outside this year. The killed quite a few large beetles but I get at least 3 crickets indoors after they spray. I would love to have them spray or maybe I could do it after dark.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 10:28AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

My first mode of attack would be to carefully seal and caulk all of the places though which crickets or anything else could squeeze. Any tiny crack around doors or windows, etc. We used to have lots of ladybugs in our home every fall and winter until we installed a new storm door, for example. We 'thought' that the front door had a pretty tight seal, but apparently not.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 10:58AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Keep in mind that the protazoans in the "Nosema locustae" are not immediate death for those critters.
I have seen crickets come into the house under the outside door even with a good weatherstrip sealing that, although caulking any other potential entry points would be a good idea.
Spraying any kind of insecticide in my house would not be something that could be done since that stuff would cause a severe asthama attack that could put me in the hospital. At the very least I could not be in the house for about a week afterwards.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 6:43AM
More Discussions
yellow raised spots/bumps on tomatillo leaves
Hi guys, I've got some tomatillo plants that are developing...
kuvaszlvr
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Pepper problem
I am a doctor and gardening beginner, trying my luck...
heshamsaeed
Possible plant disease?
Hi, Leaves on one of my new hedges have a white powder...
Dean Maunder
Sponsored Products
Malibu All-Weather Wicker Conversation Set - Seats 4 - EEI-607-CHOC-MUL-SET
Hayneedle
Cricket Dark Antique Nickel Plug-In Headboard Light
Lamps Plus
Viper 797 Electronic Dartboard - 42-1017
$77.00 | Hayneedle
Jiminy Cricket Graduation Figurine
$24.99 | zulily
Viper Eclipse Electronic Dart Board with Cabinet - GG514
$219.99 | Hayneedle