Cutting off Fronds help the palm grow faster?(queen palm)

palmtreeguyOctober 1, 2011

So I have several queen palms in my front yard. I try to not cut any of the fronds unless they are almost completely brown. Well my landscape guy decided to cut most of them off and only left like 3-4 fronds hanging. I was a bit upset cause I'm not used to that clean look but he was telling me that by cutting them the palm will grow quicker. Any truth to this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cmventura

NO. This is a common practice and I hate it. A Queen Palm looks beautiful with a full crown of fronds. Here in L.A, I've seen unbelievable Queens bursting with healthy fronds, but I've also seen over trimmed Queens with two fronds and it looks really stupid. The problem is uneducated gardeners and lack of instruction and training. I've seen no evidence that cutting fronds off a Queen Palm induces speedy growth. It's a palm, and all palms prefer to have a full head of fronds. I have two Queens and I told my gardeners, do not cut anything off unless I tell you to. If they keep doing this you will see thinning of the trunk. Don't let this happen again. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
Mexican Fan Palm Frond Tips are Black/Brown
Hello, I noticed yesterday that my Mexican Fan Palm...
eemedrelyt
Germinating Bismarckia nobilis in cool subtropical climate
Hi, I am on Pico island in the Azores and there is...
PicoAzores
Palm ID
Hi, might anyone id these palms? I had asked my landscaper...
reyetwinger
Mexican Fan Palm - Getting a wee to close to the pool.
We are recent transplants to the southwest so not much...
ranquet91
Vertically vs horizontally sprouted coconuts
Hello everybody! I saw some vertically sprouted coconuts...
coconutman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™