Palm Tree with red stems

philipw2(7 MD/DC)October 4, 2006

When we were in hawaii last spring, I saw a beautiful palm with distinctive red stems. By coincidence my Kentia is finally hitting the ceiling and I have arranged for an outplacement. The space where the Kentia grew happily and healthfully is in our foyer, which has a very large window facing east above the front door.

Could anyone give me the name of the red-stemmed palm and could you tell me whether it is suitable as a Kentia replacement?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike4284m(z10b Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

Red Sealing Wax Palm - Cyrtostachys renda

I don't believe it makes a good houseplant. They require high very high humidity levels. It actually gets too cold to grow them in the ground here in SE Florida.

Bookmark   October 4, 2006 at 2:16PM
cfkingfish(10 SWFL)

There are many palms with red stems or crownshafts.

Areca vestiaria
Cyrtostachys renda
Dypsis rivularis
Areca macrocalyx
Dypsis lastelliana
Dypsis leptochelios

Unfortunately, none I could imagine would like drier indoor conditions. They are either sun loving large palms or tropical understory plants that need high heat and humidity. Now there many be some Calyptrocalyx spp. that can tolerate indoor conditions well.

Bookmark   October 4, 2006 at 9:01PM
mike4284m(z10b Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

Sorry about that, I guess I just assumed . . .

Bookmark   October 4, 2006 at 11:14PM
frootloopy

Red Sealing Wax Palm - Cyrtostachys renda
Wish it could be grown inside. Only if you have a greenhouse in zone 7.
One of the most beautiful and coveted of all palms. There is nothing that comes close to looking like a red sealingwax. Just search and compare a few photos. Very bright red trunk and leafstems. I grew two to about 3.5 feet (they are clumping & multitrunked) in pots and brought them inside at 45 degrees. however they are subject to a fungus even then. They died on me before I learned that. I talked to a grower with some 8' (about $1000) ones and learned that from him-he uses mancozeb or another systemic during winter. Not easy to germinate the seeds either-tried that but needs to be consistenly moist and over 80 degrees and may take 1-3 months. ultra tropical needs wet humid conditions and bright light and will even grow in swamps. Hates cold winds-very thin leaved. May try again. Palm Beach Palm and Cycad society is having their semi annual sale Oct. 14 weekend in Boynton Beach FL Caloosa Park-they will have some.
Rusty

Bookmark   October 5, 2006 at 12:59PM
philipw2(7 MD/DC)

I looked at my photos last night and looking up red sealing wax palm and that is the right one.

Too bad. I guess that is why they invented zone denial.

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll have to replace my Kentia with another one.

Bookmark   October 5, 2006 at 5:32PM
e_kostuk_comcast_net

I've been trying to germinate the red trunk palms..sealing wax and scarlet...with no luck. Our heat and humidity here in SW FL should be perfect conditions! I keep the seeds moist but have not had any luck so far...anyone with any helpful hints?

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
What's happening here?
One of my young cocos is showing these odd spots?I...
coconutman
Mexican Fan Palm - Getting a wee to close to the pool.
We are recent transplants to the southwest so not much...
ranquet91
Sago Palm out of control!
I have 3 sago palms that started as nice small plants....
kkupsh
growing Dypsis lutescens indoors bad idea?
I hear they are really bad indoor plants, What is ideal...
YouthGarden
How to trim a half dead palm..
Hello! I have a large palm that has been in my house...
thrghbrdjmpr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™