Anyone want to trade seeds?

disneyhorse(10A)June 27, 2013

I went a little overboard with seeds this spring... Had near-perfect germination rates and ended up with a billion seedlings that I was able to re-home half. So I'm left with (only?) two dozen little guys.

Well, last week I ended up with a momentary lapse of insanity and won an eBay auction... An entire seed pod of "Carnival" from 1-stop-aloha (Matt H.)

I DO want a few little guys, but maybe not all the same kind... Anyone want to trade? I planted half and have about 20 seeds left over... Might trade like five each for five of something different?

The seedlings I've already got going are Waimea, JL Pink Pansy, and Penang Peach so I'd like to avoid those.

Figured I'd throw it out there.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sagolover(10a SoCal)

Nobody wants to trade seeds... If you still have extras I could buy a few from you. :)

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 11:27PM
disneyhorse(10A)

I'll send you a few... No need to buy

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 11:45PM
chuy415

Disney- I too wondered if anyone was ever going to want to trade - I would gladly pay for some. It would be a first for me ;)

Chuy

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 1:19AM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

You are too kind! Let me send you the envelope, at least you won't pay for postage.
Thank you much! Can you message me your address please? :)

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 1:25AM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

I tried to email you but I don't know if the emailing service works here. Are you still having some seeds left?

Mima

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 8:37PM
disneyhorse(10A)

Oh duh.... Mima I got your email but I replied to the blanket address garden web has. Please email me again but include your address. I can't get messages on my phone browser or something... Newbie maybe... I've got enough for both of you

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 8:55PM
disneyhorse(10A)

There are sixteen of them in paper towels started on the 27th by the way, and they've all got inch-long roots and 100% germination rate so I'm guessing you'll have success with them...

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:01PM
labland(Inland Valley CA9)

OK I don't need seeds but as a HUGE Disney lover and even HUGER horse lover I would love to hear your explanation of your user name !

labland aka Jen

Can't ride anymore due to horrid back but train my labs to retrieve ducks instead now.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 10:57PM
disneyhorse(10A)

Hey Jen.... Basically I've worked with the horses at Disneyland for a very long time. I love horses, I love Disneyland... So what could be better? ;)

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 11:06PM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

Done.

Loved the explanation of your user name. :) Same for Jen.

Mima

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 1:46AM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

I have some Pink Pansy seeds just sprouting. I hope they will be as gorgeous as their parent.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 1:48AM
senjanevada(9)

Any seeds left? wanna trade with cactus seeds?

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 2:28AM
disneyhorse(10A)

There are seeds left, message me with your address. The ones I sprouted in paper towels are seven days old now and I put them in their little cups this morning. A few weeks and they'll be moved each to a one gallon pot and join their friends...

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 3:04PM
disneyhorse(10A)

Here's one of my Pink Pansy seedlings, planted on 5/12/13. I love the bright green leaves with red edges its got. We will have to compare blooms in a few years :)

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 3:14PM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

Oh, it's so exciting to see how the seeds are sprouting and then little seedlings are growing! I love it so much!!

So from where they were sprouting you moved them directly in 1-gallon pots, no intermediary quart pots or something smaller. How big should they be to plant them in individual pots? I planted them directly in soil mix, in regular plastic boxes. I made holes in the bottom and that was it.

This is a picture taken yesterday.

Mima

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 4:19PM
disneyhorse(10A)

They look really good! When mine got two real leaves (not just those cotelydons) they go in a gallon pot, that's what fuzzy in HI recommended (who I got my seeds from). Seems adequate and will be a lot longer till I have to disturb them.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 5:13PM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

It makes sense to not disturb them for quite a while while they are so fragile.
Thanks.

Mima

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 5:56PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hi Disney...

I dont want to trade.. but i will give you some!!

If you want some, i can put you on the list for my pods when they open.. I didnt respond because i really dont need any more seedlings.. MY DH would have more eye bills!!! LOL.. He would have more allergies (eye rolling..) LOL...

Let me know!!

Happy 4th!!

Laura

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 12:18AM
maark23 TX/8a

Those seedlings look good! What kind of soil do you start them off in ?!

Mark

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 12:26AM
disneyhorse(10A)

I can't for the life of me figure out where the message thing is on this website? I'm getting emails but cannot reply. Anyone have pointers? Chuy, in the meantime please just email me your address and I'll send some off to you.
My seedlings and everything are in a one-part perlite to two-parts cactus mix. Not all cactus mixes are created equal I've found... I've bought about three different brands but I'm not sure what I like best. They all seem quick draining... I fertilize all my plants every other week with Epsom salt or miracle gro... But just a little for the seedlings cuz they're only a few inches tall still.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 1:12AM
disneyhorse(10A)

Thanks for the offer Laura, but I don't need any more seedlings either! I shouldn't have even bought these, but it was so tempting.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 1:15AM
disneyhorse(10A)

Mima, it's tough enough moving them from the sprouting cups I use to the one-gallon pots because the perlite and cactus mix is so loose and crumbly. The seedlings are pretty tough though... I manhandle them and peel their husks and membranes off with my fingernails before planting and they're perfectly happy.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 1:24AM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

I started them in the same soil mix as you, disneyhorse. How long does it usually take until they are ready to be transferred into the pots (when they have 2 real leaves)? Now I am thinking that maybe I should have used more soil mix, it seems not deep enough for them to grow a healthy little root.

Mima

This post was edited by SagoLover on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 2:24

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 1:39AM
chuy415

Will do Disney! :)

Chuy

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 2:22AM
disneyhorse(10A)

I think it took three weeks to get leaves, but it depended on the cultivar. Pink pansy, for me, were pretty vigorous. For some reason Penang Peach were slow to germinate and leaf out, but they've caught up now for the most part.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 8:57AM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

Interesting. Now I have to see how are mine going to act :D

Mima

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 11:44AM
disneyhorse(10A)

Okay, I've got some addresses to send them to now... All spoken for. I'll try to mail them today or tomorrow...

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 2:43PM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

Thank you in advance, disneyhorse! (Sorry, don't know your name :))

Mima

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 7:44PM
Quaching

Ok so I found a really cool way to grow plumeria seeds. I was searching the net and found a guy that grows his seeds in a different method than I have seen before. Basically he purchased some craft foam and made little slits in the foam. He had a bowl full of water and cut the foam in a circle to fit inside the bowl so it will float. He put about 30 seeds in the slits of the foam with the fat part of the seeds down in the water and the wing up. He placed the foam (with seeds in slits) into the water and left it there for about 6 days and all the seeds sprouted. Once the seeds sprouted he removed the seeds and planted them into soil. Has anyone else tried this method?

I will post a pic also....

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 10:43PM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

Disneyhorse, I got the seeds today with the mail! Thank you so,so much!! They are Carnival or a different type?
I noticed how long their wing is compared to the ones we've planted last month. And a very light color. The others were almost all darker and their wings shorter.

Thank you so much! I will keep you posted when they will sprout and further. :)

Mima

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 3:42PM
disneyhorse(10A)

They are this, "Carnival" from Matt H. In HI. Mine are all sprouted, so good luck with them.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 4:00PM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

Oh, it looks so pretty! I can't wait to plant mine too! How's the smell like?

Did you use the damp/wet paper towel first?

Mima

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 4:43PM
disneyhorse(10A)

I don't know what the smell is like, the description was vague.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 4:52PM
chuy415

ok..... received mine in the mail disney!! wish me luck! it's my very first time :)

chuy

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 6:10PM
disneyhorse(10A)

Good luck! I've got a huge double seed pod on my noid that I'll give away more when it opens... But it's been there for eight months so who knows when...

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 6:34PM
pcput

Quaching, I've used the floating peanuts method to start seeds. Got real good germination. I floated them in the seed starter cells and then planted them in them. Peg

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 8:25PM
chuy415

Peg, never seen that fine before!! I have about 3 seeds I need to sow. Wondering if I should try it. Do u mist? Is the tray of water warm??

Chuy

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 1:53AM
pcput

Chuy, The seeds are in the peanuts floating in the water-no need to mist. The plastic containers(my grandkid's lunchables) are put on a heat mat under lights. Once they have roots sticking out I take them out of the starter cells/peanuts and fill cells with soil and plant. I don't put them back in the water containers. The cells hold 9 so for 3 seeds you might want to cut the cells a part in rows and find something smaller to put the water in. I put masking tape on the outside of the cells to mark the kind of seed and then plant them in the same cell. Peg

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 9:21AM
chuy415

Thank you Peg for explaining!! ;)

Chuy

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
Are you Oklahoma boys okay?
Been watching the weather out your way. Mike, Robert,...
moonie_57
Upland Nursery???
Hey all, I just wanted to see if anyone has used Upland...
Jordan Flake
Taking A Bare Rooted Tree And Potting Into Gritty Mix
Hi Guys and Gals!! I received a Bare Rooted tree from...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Need advise please
I have 2 plumeria plants that are ~7 yrs old . They...
robinkaufman
plumeria not flowering
A friend of mine has a plumeria which has never flowered....
annie_____
Sponsored Products
Pipe Dream Lamp
$319.99 | Dot & Bo
Isla Pendant
Lightology
Poppy Oil Lamp by Carpyen
$262.08 | Lumens
Canyon Ranch Silk Eye Pillow
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans Sailwind II 52 in. Indoor/Outdoor Oil Rubbed Bronze
Home Depot