Quercus fusiformis acorns

cliff98(z6 OH)November 27, 2012

Hi Everyone,
I've been hunting for Quercus fusiformis seedlings or acorns for quite some time. I have only found of 2 mail order nurseries that have carried this oak and both do not have any available. My goal is to see if this oak species can survive in one of the most mild parts of Ohio, a borderline 6b zone. I think there is potential.
I would like to know if anyone has access to Quercus fusiformis acorns and would be willing to mail them to me for the cost of shipping and any charges associated with the collection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvabasil

cliff98,
I will have access to hundreds of these acorns around the middle of December. Source is in the hill country of Texas: Blanco, TX specifically.
I do not know if they will survive Ohio. I have not tried to grow them here, in OKC. Maybe I will try this year.
How many acorns would you like?

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 4:24PM
luvabasil

I would think your biggest challenge would be moisture. Isn't Ohio quite a bit more moist than Texas or Oklahoma? My little Texas trees seem to like it dry.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 4:28PM
chrholme

I have some in the tree farm- but when I checked today there were not a lot of acorns yet. I'll continue to monitor throughout the next few weeks!

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 8:00PM
cliff98(z6 OH)

luvabasil - Thank you for the offer. If it is possible to send 20 or so acorns, that would be tremendous! If you send me and email at jakek920atyahoodotcom I'll send you my address and I can get payment instructions.

trees4ok - Thank you for checking. I really appreciate it a lot!

The more acorns the merrier!

While Cincinnati is wetter than most areas of Texas and Oklahoma, I think Q. fusiformis stands the best chance for being the evergreen/semi-evergreen oak species. Q. nigra will hold its leaves till mid-November, but eventually goes fully deciduous. Q. hemisphaerica is another option that hopefully I can try very soon. As far as cold tolerance is concerned, this area can drop below zero degrees on just about any given year. The recent trend for this area is 6b/7a/7b depending on the microclimate, but long term it is a 6a/6b area. I think it is still worth a try.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 10:50AM
luvabasil

It is definitely worth the try!

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 11:11AM
cliff98(z6 OH)

Finders fee for acorns!!!!

Any updates my Oklahoma Brethren?

Happy Holidays!
Jake aka Cliff98

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 2:40PM
chrholme

Jake,

Good news! While out in the tree farm today I was able to gather about 20/25 acorns!

Will you message me your info so I can send them on their way to you?

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 10:21PM
luvabasil

Bad news (at least for now) on my side: When we went to Blanco, the acorns were eaten. Seriously. And all on my neighbors acreage as well. We are planning another trip soon, so we will keep our eyes open.

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 9:50AM
cliff98(z6 OH)

Luvabasil - Thank for the update. That's too bad about the acorn crop. On your next trip, if you do find any, please let me know. Thanks again.

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 9:17AM
More Discussions
Ark. traveler tomato
Some one sent me a few seeds last yr. and I didn't...
sorie6
Seedy Saturday Seed Swap
Seedy Saturday Seed Swap. February 28, 2015 When I...
duckcreekgardens
Milkweed?
Does anyone have milkweed seeds they could share? I'd...
tracydr
Gardenia and Peace Lily Zone 7
Hi All. My daughter died recently and we received...
realtrrldy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™