Rooting/Cutting Help

NicholasHJune 14, 2014

Just got these cuttings from a friend who is an expert in growing plumerias. He told me to putt them by the window sill (no full sunlight), on a towel (not touching each other or the window sill), and to dip them in rooting hormone and let them sit for 2 weeks. I watch "TheLuckyBambooExpert" videos on Youtube and he says to let them sit for 2 weeks then apply the rooting hormone when planting. Did I make a mistake or am I fine?

Thanks, Nicholas H.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barb13_gw

Hi NicholasH,

If it was me I would cut off the leaves and pot them up and put them in the sun, no more then 6 hours a day and water well the first time and then don't water but mist now and then and in a couple of months you should have leaves and roots. The only reason why I would not wait because the later you start the less change that they will root before winter. Some cuttings can take up to 6 months to root but I find that with more heat they seem to root better. Good luck, Barb

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 3:53AM
Muscadines978(7, Dalton, Ga.)

The easiest way to propagate cuttings for the home gardener is to dip the cuttings in a rooting hormone and then stick the cuttings in a 5-6' pot with a good light, damp growing media. Then place the pot and cuttings into a gallon Ziploc bag, seal it and place it in a shady location. Check the bag weekly. If there droplets of water on the inside surface your OK. if no droplets mist the inside . You should have some roots forming in 5-6 wks.
Now that is the easy way and it works.
Hans

Here is a link that might be useful: Muscadines And More

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 4:32AM
Alisarom(9b)

Nicholas, it really does not matter when the rooting hormone is applied, some people don't even use any.

I would let them callus at least a week (dry the cut end), in my experience it increases my chances of not rotting them, check from time to time to make sure it stays hard/dry, not squishy. Don't squeeze too hard, just a light check.

Yes, you can cut more of the leaves, leaving only 1,2 small ones at the very end.

After the cut end has dried completely, and it's firm to touch, let us know and we'll help you pot them up. http://www.plumeria101.com/cuttings101.html

Please know that just as there are many ways to skin the cat :), different people have different ways of getting their cuttings calloused and then rooted. Some baby them more than others, some just stick them in the ground and hope for the best and they still grow. It does matter where you are located, your microclimate, the quality of the cuttings, etc.

This post was edited by Alisarom on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 12:35

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 9:50AM
NicholasH

Thank you guys for the responses. I will let y'all know how it goes.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
a test for Laura
Just a test to see if working, now only to remember...
rox146
How To Give Away Plumeria
I bought a plumeria (gorgeous pinks and yellows) before...
treehugger101
OT testing.. Wanting to say hello to my friends!!
Hi everyone!! I'm just testing out the new format...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Thai Super Round Blooming In February.....Happy Valentine's Day!!!
Hello everyone!! I hope you all are enjoying the warmth...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Just Purchased KALEINANI Plumeria From 1 Stop Aloha On Ebay.
Hello Gang; My 1st purchase from 1 Stop, I read good...
edzone9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™