Lady Bug, Mexican Bean Beelte or something else?

IAmSupernova(SE Texas 9A)September 23, 2012

Anyone know? How can you tell them apart? All my Googling just gives me conflicting answers. A guide will tell ways to tell them apart and then the bug has the signs of neither... All I know is I have quite a few of these things on my peppers and okra, some have dots, some don't, some have what looks like a dot or two that got smeared when it was still 'wet'. With the exception of a couple of deep red ones, all are this orangish-bronzish color.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Asian lady beetles.

To differentiate from Mexican bean beetle, observe their eating habits. Mexican bean beetles eat plant material/leaves, lady beetles eat aphids.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 10:40PM
IAmSupernova(SE Texas 9A)

I haven't been able to catch a single one eating, that was my first thought.. I've been trying to figure out what these are for a couple weeks now. But thanks.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 10:59PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Here are many pictures of Mexican bean beetles. Notice that the first section behind the head is plain -- that is no markings.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&cp=14&gs_id=6d&xhr=t&q=mexican+bean+beetle&newwindow=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=819&bih=451&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=buRfULfGPKWViQKP04CwCg

Your beetles have a "W" on the first section behind the head. That W-mark is characteristic of Asian lady beetles.

Stop worrying & be happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican bean beetles

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 12:44AM
More Discussions
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
Home made seed tape
sorry - moved post to diff forum This post was edited...
oldgardenguy_zone6
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
Question for the 'Regular' contributors
I've noticed a real slow down in this forum since the...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™