Controlling Spider Mites

wvbetsy(z6WV)September 8, 2012

What is the best method for controlling spider mites on vegetables? They are all over all leafy vegetables.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

If so, the veggies are stressed. Perhaps too dry? Or at the end of their life span?

Insecticidal soap, repeated as the label directs, works and will be safe for edibles.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 9:04PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Spider Mites are more of a problem during hot, dry weather, or if pesticides, including Insecticidal Soaps, areused because those will kill off the predators of Spider Mites. During hot, dry weather the Spider Mites feed more voraciously which causes them to mater more often which builds up larger populations. Raising the humidity round the affected plants can help reduce populations, just misting with plain water helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Spider Mites

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 6:22AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

It was said "Raising the humidity round the affected plants can help reduce populations, just misting with plain water helps."

Yes. in other words, the plants are stressed because of low humidity, etc. The above activities help minimize such stress a bit.

The amount of soil water, especially too little, also contributes to spider mite infestations. because the plants are stressed.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 12:26PM
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Every four days I use a strong but coarse spray of water from the hose (nozzle) upward from the lower parts of the plant so as to wash the underside of the leaves (which is where the buggers like to stay). This method reduces the population of freshly hatched and adult mites since they can reproduce in four days. I have found that, on my tomatoes, three or four thorough repeats will almost eliminate them. Works good for aphids as well. No pesticide products needed, soaps or miticides.
hortster

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
TheRipeTomato
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™