umbrella palm

jaynboro(7 TN)October 11, 2010

i realize this is not really a palm, but i had this growing in the fish pond and wondered how it would do in the ground near the windmill palms. it surprised me and really took off! i kinda like the look. and it didnt take as much watering as i thought it would.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brooklyngreg(7a NYC coastal plain)

I always wanted to try them too! Was it easy? Was it rooted in water first?

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 2:50PM
jaynboro(7 TN)

have had it growing in the pond for a few years now. one of the stems got bent and fell over into the water. i left it there and where the top of the "palm" made contact with water, roots came down and a new plant is formed. after a sufficient amount of roots formed, i cut it from the mother plant and stuck it in the ground....and boy did it take off! anybody out there had success growing these in the ground? will they return next year? i had read somewhere that they are only hardy to zone 8, but in the pond, it always comes back.

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 8:48PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I really do like these plants! I think it would survive your winters with only a little extra protection. Probably a food of mulch should take care of it. How fast growing are these plants! I see smaller plants being sold on the internet, but really dont feel like waiting much more than a year for it to get to a noticeable size. I hear that they grow just as well in the ground as they do in ponds and your pic proves it!
Good luck!
-Alex

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 11:40PM
More Discussions
Coconut Palm
Hi all. I am brand new to this forum and i'm just looking...
johnob
Sterling, VA trachy???
Anyone seen or have updates on that big Sterling, Virginia...
islandbreeze
Sago Palm out of control!
I have 3 sago palms that started as nice small plants....
kkupsh
Areca seeds germinating
For years my palm was seeding but something always...
tropicbreezent
Sickly windmill palm
We have a 6ft windmill palm that is about 6-7 years...
Diane2115
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™