Matter Magic Panic

EcopalSeptember 29, 2011

Hey everybody,

So I started to add matter magic to my tomatoes, and other vegetables and they all love it. But here�s the thing, the bugs love it too. Ever since I added matter magic to my five gallon buckets the ants just moved right in. They are building little hills and even though I bulldoze anything they build they just keep coming. I don�t think they can hurt my tomatoes but they are steeling my fertilizer. What�s even worse is that the roaches have been making their move. I have not seen any but I have been finding eggs in the buckets. GROSS!!!!!!! . What can I do to get rid of them without introducing chemicals to my soil?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Nothing comes up with a web search for Matter Magic that is usefull in determining what that product is. A better description of the product, a better name, something that tells us what it is would help.

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 7:15AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

The poster is growing 'maters' with mater magic...

"Mater Magic is derived from Meat Meal, Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, Bone Meal, Blood Meal and Sulfate of Potash 5-5-9 plus 4.5 calcium"

I haven't encountered ants in containers myself, but others have suggested boric acid baits, diatomaceous earth, also submerging the containers in a larger container of water (holding it down if necessary) until all pest have drowned then letting it drain and dry out again.

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 10:37AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

"Mater Magic" contains some stuff ants would find tremendously desireable which probably explains why they took up residence in the buckets. While there are numerous strategies to use to kill various insects taking steps to keepthem away is often the best and that might meant not using products that would attract them.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 7:20AM
More Discussions
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Weeding raised beds!
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
Tomato Leaf Disease
The tomato disease has begun here in Miami. Does this...
garf_gw
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™