Can gophers escape from traps??

lana_langSeptember 12, 2011

Gophers are wreaking havoc in my veggie garden. They've eaten my tomatoes and are now starting to eat my herbs. So I bought a couple of traditional wire gopher traps and tried them out today. At first I was excited because I noticed there had been activity in the tunnels where I buried them, and they were hard to pull out, so I thought I had caught my gophers! But when they reached the surface they were empty.

Is it possible for gophers to get caught in them and wriggle out? It's hard to imagine. I don't want to use poison pellets or anything that might get in my food supply. I read on this forum that some people use soiled cat litter. I tried that, but all it did was make them move their tunnels from one spot to another.

These must be Houdini gophers! ACK! What else can I do??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

A live trap is not meant to be buried and if it is it will not work and the "trapped" critter will be able to get out. I have seen the killing traps trip and not hit the target, frequently.
So, do you have a live trap or a killing trap?

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 6:47AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I assume that 'traditional wire gopher traps' mean gopher wire traps, especially since he put these into a tunnel, where they are supposed to be set.

All you can do is keep trying, lang lang. Be sure that you are setting them correctly...there's probably several tutorials on line (Youtube?) about these traps.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 11:53AM
lana_lang

thanks for the replies. Yes, these are killing traps and I made sure to set them correctly. I tried again last night and put two of them back-to-back in the main tunnel, but when I checked them this morning there definitely was activity around the traps, but they were not tripped. I'm afraid the gophers have gotten wise and won't get caught.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 3:36PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The killing traps are very passive because they require the target animal to trip them. I know several people that think the moles, gophers, or whatever are learning how to trip them without getting caught as well as avoiding them althogether.

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 11:36AM
lana_lang

Success!! I caught the little bugger today! It looks like the trap just barely got him under his front legs, but it did the trick.

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 12:56PM

You might want to keep setting the traps, in case he had pals.

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
Aphids? Spider Mite? Thrips?
About a month ago, my husband bought me this plant....
janicenco
Question for the 'Regular' contributors
I've noticed a real slow down in this forum since the...
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Weeding raised beds!
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™