Fungus on my veggies?

brianSATX(8)September 6, 2012

Anyone recognize what's wrong with my green beans? Is the white streak a virus or fungus of some sort? Maybe a deficiency of something? I had something very similar with my spanish beans in the spring that got bad quick and seemed to lead to the leaves dying and falling off. Trying to head this issue off earlier.

Organic treatment ideas? I've read a bit about innoculating the bean seeds but don't know much about it or if it is a necessity.

Other information:

This are Provider green beans grown from seed. Soil mix is Mel's SFG mix - 1/3 sphangum peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 mixed blend of compost. I know this isn't "truly" organic, but I'm new to this and learning very quickly :)

The plants are receiving about 7 hours of intense heat (avg 95 degree high past week).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brianSATX(8)

Adding the picture...

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 8:00PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Not a disease, an insect - leafminer, generally not serious pests. Would you call the infestation light, or more serious, there may be nothing you need to do at all if your photo depicts the plants overall health, that looks like a light infestation to me.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 8:50PM
brianSATX(8)

Not much damage. Of 9 bush plants, only 4-5 occurrences like that. I'll keep monitoring over the next few days.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 9:08PM
brianSATX(8)

Do you suspect the same damage on this butternut squash, which is nearby? The only difference is that the damage is a bit more brown vs white.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 9:10PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Yes, same type pest, one of the leafminers.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 9:53PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Leaf miners. This link can provide good information about them, except for the suggested controls. There are numerous parasites of leaf minors that most all of the controls will also kill off and the systemics appear to have adverse affects on our pollinators.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Leaf Miners

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 7:21AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

never use a systemic on a food plant ...

what your pix dont show.. is how big the problem is..

if its just a leaf here or there... snip them off.. and get rid of the pest ...

if its the 9th plague of the bible ... just pull the whole crop.. and research how to PREVENT it next year ...

in my warped world.. leaf miners simply add variegation to an otherwise boring green plant .. lol .. i am not aware of them ever destroying a plant ...

ken

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 8:14AM
More Discussions
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
Tomato Leaf Disease
The tomato disease has begun here in Miami. Does this...
garf_gw
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Aphids? Spider Mite? Thrips?
About a month ago, my husband bought me this plant....
janicenco
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™