Coconut burn

Hunter_M(Kentucky Z.6)October 19, 2011

Hi, I saw this on my coconut frond:

I know its probably a burn from the sun from the summer. Its been there for a while but I kind of forgot about it. Will it hurt the frond?

Thanks!

-Hunter

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericthehurdler(NOR CAL 9a)

sun burning is okay its the lack of humidity which is probably causing the damage i mist my coco about 6 times a day and if i miss a few days the tips start to brown

Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 7:41PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I noticed a simliar thing on my coconut palms when they first went inside for the winter last year. It wasnt a big problem though. It could be sun burn too and if it is, then it will defintiely be fine! Keep an eye on it just in case, but as long as it gets a nice amount of indoor sun, and not too much water, it will be good! They dont like being watered that much indoors, but they do like being misted so try to mist it a few times a week, especially when the heat goes on for the winter.
-Alex

Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 11:17PM
cmventura

It's normal..just a little sunburn. I don't think misting helps much at all, it probably worsens things since water drops probably act as a magnifier. Your coconut is still a baby, so chances are it is getting too much strong, direct sun. Give it a break. :)

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 1:16AM
us_marine

Is it on all the fronds? Can you take more pics? My coconut palms have never gotten that bad even though its very dry here with very low humidity. Just tip burn and thats about it.My original coco(sadly shes gone now :( but did not die from that she lived 4 years), did get sun burned badly once. Every frond turned yellow. Taking her out of the sun helped. The palm was inside going outside in warm spring weather. Forgot to acclimatize.

The one I have now is doing very well, the tips are burned and a little yellow but not that bad. I think the tip burning and yellowing has to with how much shade,water and humidity its getting. If it well watered, and not in full sun, they dont mind low humidity as much? I dont know but its a good possibility.

- US_Marine

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 12:00PM
More Discussions
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
Windmill survival opinion
I have a windmill, only about 1 foot of trunk, maybe...
islandbreeze
Vertically vs horizontally sprouted coconuts
Hello everybody! I saw some vertically sprouted coconuts...
coconutman
How to trim a half dead palm..
Hello! I have a large palm that has been in my house...
thrghbrdjmpr
Sterling, VA trachy???
Anyone seen or have updates on that big Sterling, Virginia...
islandbreeze
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™