How big do these plants get?

ColoradoSteph(5)May 18, 2013

Hi all,
This is my 2nd year with a veggie garden and first year attempting any sort of pepper. I purchased anaheim and sweet banana pepper transplants from a local nursery which I plan to plant in containers. Yes I know only one is a hot pepper and this is the hot pepper forum, however I am hoping you all can help me with my questions. :)

Is the anaheim or sweet banana pepper a larger plant? What size of container should I plant each one in? I have a vacant 14" pot... would this be satisfactory for either one? I also plan to purchase 1 or 2 half whiskey barrel planters. Could I fit both in one barrel? Would one plant per barrel be overkill? If I have space I plan to grow maybe a 3rd pepper, however I'm not sure on the variety.

Thank you in advance for any advice. I am loving reading these forums and learning so much just from that.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woohooman

I have several whiskey barrels and put 2 in each all the time with great production. No problem. I've never grown banana, but with the Anaheims, tomato cages help immensely. They'll get about 4-5 feet high with loads of heavy fruit -- so the cages are perfect for them. About the only varieties I don't use cages are the chinense varieties -- much more bushy and compact and the pods are very light.

I've read that people put even more plants in containers this size, but I opt not to.

Good luck.

Kevin

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 11:04PM
ColoradoSteph(5)

Thanks so much for the input it is very helpful! I just came home with 2 whiskey barrels, so I think I will put the anaheim and sweet banana pepper in one of them. Now what to grow in the other whiskey barrel and in the 14" pot. :)

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 4:31PM
woohooman

Maybe 1 more of each, so you'll have plenty. Maybe a poblano, serrano or jalapeno?

Before you drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of your whiskey barrels, you may want to fill them up with water and let set for a couple days to leach all the alcohol out.

Kevin

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 1:12AM
More Discussions
Wow! Sure seems slow!
In the midst of seedling season, I would expect the...
woohooman
will my pepper seeds sprout?
I am planning to start to grow some pepper plants and...
mariorossi3c
bad batch of corn … oh
OTOH nothing happened after 26 days with my first batch...
bragu_DSM 5
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™